What's new
What's new

5hp rpc having a hard time starting a 2hp drill press in high gear

paradigmshift

Plastic
Starts fine in low, and doesn't seem to struggle in the slightest while drilling. In high gear, it struggles a lot, bogs down heavily, and sometimes I don't think it will actually run the press to speed, so I shut it down.

Oh, jet gearhead drill, TEMCo XR3 rpc, both relatively new.

I amp clamped it, but my readings are all over the place. Feeding the press, 3 amps on each leg to run on low speed, 7 on high, with an 11 amp spike. At the disconnect feeding the RPC, I get 38amps on high to run it up to speed, once it's running, it takes like 15-19amps to sustain.

Im thinking something definitely isn't right, seeing as my rpc should be oversized for the application, and my readings are pretty far outside the data plate on the RPC....

Thoughts?

Does seem odd that your RPC won't handle it. Maybe the manufacturer of the drill press stretched out the gear ratios a little too far. At any rate, I use to leave the start capacitors engaged (as recommended by the RPC manufacturer) when starting and running a heavy load. It was a simple toggle switch.

I amp clamped it, but my readings are all over the place. Feeding the press, 3 amps on each leg to run on low speed, 7 on high, with an 11 amp spike. At the disconnect feeding the RPC, I get 38amps on high to run it up to speed, once it's running, it takes like 15-19amps to sustain.

Im thinking something definitely isn't right, seeing as my rpc should be oversized for the application, and my readings are pretty far outside the data plate on the RPC....

Thoughts?

My guess is that your running out of voltage while trying to start on high speed.

What does your supply circuit consist of? What is your input voltage to the RPC while starting it, and while starting the load in high speed?

Low voltage causes the amps to go high, and results in low torque output.

SAF Ω

Back