What's new
What's new

7.5 HP Phase Conversion VFD

J-Head

Hot Rolled
I am looking at getting a VFD to run a 7.5 HP gear head lathe on 220V single phase power.

The only VFD I have been able to find that is approved for use with single phase by the mfg is a Spedestar made by Polyspede Drives.

PC1-75, 7.5HP Phase Converter

Anyone have any experience with these.

Are there other brand VFD’s rated for 7.5 HP single phase input?

The Hitachi WJ200 series drives are only single phase rated up to 4 HP.

The manual says for single phase applications over 4 HP you need to consult your distributor.

I am looking at getting a VFD to run a 7.5 HP gear head lathe on 220V single phase power.

The only VFD I have been able to find that is approved for use with single phase by the mfg is a Spedestar made by Polyspede Drives.

PC1-75, 7.5HP Phase Converter

Anyone have any experience with these.

Are there other brand VFD’s rated for 7.5 HP single phase input?

I have the 5HP version working just fine. I also have a Hitachi 10HP unit running a 5HP motor. Contact Hitachi dealers for the bulletin and buy the recommended drive, probably a 15HP unit.

Similar to what has been posted above, most likely you will need a 15Hp 240VAC 3 phase VFD and derate it for single phase use. This is fairly typical for most of the main stream VFDs, and they have Technical blurbs specific to this application. It would be beneficial to add a DC bus choke, actually required by some manufactures like Yaskawa for this application. You can call their technical help if you need specifics or recommended models.

https://www.yaskawa.com/delegate/ge...D.15&cmd=documents&documentName=AN.AFD.15.pdf
http://www.hitachi-america.us/suppo.../AN032404-1_Rev_A_Sizing_for_Single-Phase.pdf

The Hitachi WJ-200-110-SF would be reasonably priced, the Speedstar above is more expensive, some of this may be ofset the the service/breaker and wiring to the input would be less. There are several generic VFDs supposedly rated for 7.5HP single phase but there long term reliability/function is of concern. You might call drive warehouse and see what they suggest. You will need a braking resistor, nothing fancy, I happen to have one for that size VFD. Might consider an RPC if you do not need variable speed.
WJ2-11LF 15HP 11kW 23V VFD - Hitachi

All VFDs are technically capable of being fed with single phase power and running 3 phase motors, it's inherent in the concept of how they function. The thing is, the VFD must be de-rated for two reasons;
1) The diodes on the rectifier side will see more current on fewer diodes (4 instead of 6) because of the difference in current between 3 phase and single phase. Single phase current is higher by the square-root of 3 (1.73x).
2) The rectification process of single phase power will cause more "ripple" in the DC bus, so it needs more capacitance on the DC bus to take care of it, AND the capacitors will run hotter than normal.

So for BOTH of those reasons, most mfrs will require that you over size the VFD by a factor of 2 as a MINIMUM. So look at the FLA of the 3 phase motor, double it, then select a VFD that is rated for AT LEAST that many amps. The quick and dirty way is to just double the HP rating, so for a 7-1/2HP motor you buy a 15HP drive. You ALSO have to be aware of the heating issue and cut the ambient temperature rating by 1/3, so if a VFD is rated for 40C (104F) operation, it can't handle more than 25C (77F) ambient, or you can de-rate it a little more, so a 20HP drive for a 7-1/2HP motor. Many people don't bother with that second de-rate and take their chances here, because for the most part, these machine tools aren't run continuously.

Smaller drives, up to 3HP at 240V, are sometimes available for single phase input without de-rating, simply because at those small sizes the difference in cost of the larger components becomes insignificant so they just throw them in that way. That's becoming less common however because prices have dropped and margins are tighter for the drive mfrs. So now they sell a drive that looks the same and uses the same case, so the physical size remains the same, but the part numbers are different because the 3 phase versions are using smaller power devices. But no matter what, above 3 HP you must at least double the size of the VFD relative to the motor current. There are a couple of people, like Polyspede and AC Tech, that sell/sold larger drives rated for single phase, but if you compare prices you discover that it's just a marketing trick in that they are the same cost as just buying the 2X drive and de-rating it. They just do it for you on the nameplate.

The "gotcha" to the 2x program however is that a FEW brands of VFD do not allow you to do this, simply because they have Phase Loss protection and they don't give you a way to disable it. The drive COULD work, but they don't let you do it. So you have to RTFM before you buy it to make sure. That used to be more common but lately more and more of the VFD mfrs have figured out that they were missing out on a market segment.

The derating is covered in the links provided, in some cases such as Yaskawa, deactivating the phase loss will cause VFD damage and will void the warranty per their white paper. In the Hitachi technical bulletin AN032404-1 they recommend connecting the incoming single phase power two L1 and L3, and then adding an additional jumper from L3 to L2. Other manufactures may not support single phase input, even though as jraef mentioned they are technically capable with the proper derating. Older ABB and 480V VFDs usually do not support single phase input because of the phase loss circuitry that cannot be disabled. So before you buy a VFD, I would contact technical support for the VFD model you are interested in.

Also when using a 3 phase VFD on single phase there are stricter requirements as to the input voltage tolerance and limits on the VFD overload maximum, might review the Yaskawa presentation "Selecting E7/P7/F7 Drives for Single-Phase Input Applications" which covers most of the details mentioned.
https://www.yaskawa.com/delegate/ge...=documents&documentName=PP.SinglePhase.01.ppt

There is a bit of a fudge factor depending on the type of application and wither it is continuous use at rated output or intermittent and the maximum output is rarely used. So for something like manual mills and lathes, one can get away with a derating VFD of something like 1.5. So my manual mill with a digital head uses a 3 phase Yaskawa drive, but it can also be run on single phase (they have up-sized the VFD ~1.5X) . There are a few manufacture that do offer single phase input 5Hp VFDs such as Yaskawa, but the cost would be more than the WJ200-110LF. The DURApulse AC Drive Units - GS4 Series from 1-25Hp are all rated for single and three phase input but must be sized accordingly.

Not every VFD accepts the derating.

Some VFDs are now made with small non-electrolytic bus filters, and the derating would be extreme with those. We made a military use 3 HP VFD that had a bus capacitor of about 50 microfarads, using a film type high current capacitor. That was done for temperature and lifetime reasons, and it was only usable with 3 phase input. With single phase, it just did not work in any sensible way,

Does the bus choke go upstream or downstream of the vfd?

Typically there are specific terminals within the VFD for the buss choke which would be wired externally to the VFD. Some of the higher end (and higher Hp) VFDs may come with built in chokes or have provisions for an internal choke to be mounted, but it is not typical of the garden variety VFDs we are discussing for your application. As previous noted, there are different models of VFDs and some may not be derated/used for single phase. But most of the name brand VFDs can be used derated for single phase, as previous stated I would check with the manufacturer or wholesaler before you purchase it. Otherwise you may end up with a nice doorstop. You have not specified the indication/use of the VFD, but for some applications you should review the programming parameters to make sure it fits your needs. So if you have a lot of momentum in the system and want to stop relatively quickly, you will also need braking circuity and provisions for use of an an external braking resistor. I have often run into problems with inexpensive VFDs not have this provision.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=234128&stc=1&d=1532656076

Attachments

• LCM-42 Electrical Cabinet with choke and control system.jpg
    LCM-42 Electrical Cabinet with choke and control system.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 374

Back