What's new
What's new

AA battery connection help

Froneck

Titanium
Kinda a bit off topic but it is electrical. I'm wondering if anyone has a good way to insure AA battery connection. I have a few electronic clocks, not digital the typical wall clock with hands that run on one AA battery. From time to time they stop and look as if the battery is weak though I have installed the top of the line batteries. Quite often when I attempt to remove them from the wall hook they begin to run again and will run for days. Sometimes vibration of any kind like a door slamming shut will start them running. I tried copper never seize, worked for a while, it seemed to dry out and clock stopped running. Found another product, it was made from pure copper and intended for making good electrical connections, was better but it too failed. Tested the battery with Volt meter while battery was connected to 1-1/2V flashlight bulb, bulb was bright and voltage 1.5V. I even tried putting a shim behind the connector to increase terminal pressure but again it to failed. Most have a flat spring on both sides that are what looks like chrome plated. They seem to be clean and should make good connection, it might be the battery ends. Any suggestions? If I install a new battery it too will only last a short time and act as I mentioned above while the battery removed was put in another application and works.

Try some Deox-It. I use the version that comes in a felt tip pen. Many times the contacts get oxidized and while they look fine they actually create a high resistance connection. Any movement that physically wipes the contacts will temporarily restore connection but it doesn't last without chemical treatment.

At 1.5V it doesn't take much resistance to cause problems.

Batteries are filled with chemicals and not entirely solid. I have heard that vibration can essentially shake up the somewhat-liquid contents, and get fresh electrolyte to the electrodes.

I clean it all up with a wire brush and Vaseline or silicone grease on the battery to save the electronics in case it leaks.

New Energizer batteries, duracells are shit.

Duracell has been sued and lost for bad product..

Put a meter on the battery. Good ones should be over 1.5vdc

Check the clock hands, are they bent and causing friction ?
Has the clock been oiled ? That will kill them too.

Sometimes you just have to throw those clocks away and get a new one.

1) solder wires to ends of battery. (they're steel and solder just fine with rosin core solder)

2) solder other ends of wires to contacts in clock.

3) done!

I have quite a few clocks, I thought the same got a few new but they too do the same thing! As of now I have 6 clocks, one is old, purchased it from the NRA at Camp Perry. It's working great but has a C size Battery, No problems. One clock I just got running again has Energizer Battery, rotate the battery a few times to insure good connection, it's running fine. I'll try Deox-lt to see if it helps. I did buy some C size battery holders on ebay and will try connecting them, not sure if I can solder wires to the battery terminals, if not I can make an adapter. Wondering if I use 96% tin/ 4% silver to cover the ends of an adapter it will make better connection, I know I have some 2% silver 60Tin and 38lead? Batteries are side ways, maybe vertical is better? Hands do not hit, after moving the battery usually rotating it in location clock begins to run at normal rate and keeps excellent time. I have another that adjusts itself, time is always correct. It will continue to operate with weak battery, indication battery is week the second hand will not lift past about 45 seconds yet clock keeps good time, replace with new battery and second hand works, test battery (over 1 year old) and it is weak, just replaced it and it was Duracell.

I have a SkyScan digital clock with an LCD display. I replaced the two Durscell AAs so long ago that I don't remember it. Never a bit of contact problems. I suspect that you may have a slightly corrosive atmosphere. Try cleaning the terminals, De-Oxid does a great job, then put a daub of silicone grease like Dow Corning DC 4 on each.

Bill

Back