What's new
What's new

Ab Arboga Drill Press power options

Mikewid04

Plastic
Hi all,

I recently picked up a very good condition Ab Arboga Makiner E825L for free.

The motor plate indicates it is 480V three phase only. I put this in my garage and I’m trying to figure out the most cost effective/safe way to go from 1 phase 240vac to three phase 480vac.

Not having a ton of experience with VFD’s, I thought I’d be able to get a small 3-5Kva transformer to go up to 480vac but I can’t seem to find a VFD that takes 480vac. Most of the ones I come across are three phase input/output.

Considered rotary converter among other things and it started getting a bit expensive.

Any input would be a big help!

I thought I found some information here awhile ago about this press, but can’t see to dig it up again. Trying to understand a 6 wire 2 speed motor has my head spinning a bit.

Single phase 480V input is pretty rare on a VFD because single phase 480V is pretty rare.

You can get a 480V drive that's about twice the size of your motor and that will be fine.

I thought I found some information here awhile ago about this press, but can’t see to dig it up again. Trying to understand a 6 wire 2 speed motor has my head spinning a bit.

-I have an 825, albeit a 240V/3ph, and here's what I did.

The unit had fallen over and among other things, had smashed the original thin-wall cast-iron control box on the front. That box had a 3-position rotary switch; low, off and high. The switch itself was mildly damaged, but thankfully only in the mountings.

The drill also had a sort of main power switch on the side, between the motor and the column.

I don't have native 3-phase, so my plan was always to run it on a VFD. The 2-speed more was a bit of a complication, but simple enough to take care of.

I removed the 'main power' switch from the side, and fabbed up a new cover plate. Into that plate, I mounted, with some custom fittings, the original 3-way switch.

arboga-switch12.jpg

That takes the feed directly from the VFD, and connects it to the motor. To use it, you make sure the spindle is stopped- that is, the VFD is not feeding power to the motor. Then switch from low to high or vice-versa. Then restart the spindle.

Basically just remember to never switch ranges while the spindle motor is powered, and you're golden.

I then simply fabbed up a new set of low-voltage control buttons to run the VFD, and mounted them where the old switch box was.

The only thing you'd need to do different, is pick up a 240-to-480 step-up transformer, and just wire that in between the VFD and the drill.

Doc.

Hi all,

I recently picked up a very good condition Ab Arboga Makiner E825L for free.

The motor plate indicates it is 480V three phase only. I put this in my garage and I’m trying to figure out the most cost effective/safe way to go from 1 phase 240vac to three phase 480vac.

Not having a ton of experience with VFD’s, I thought I’d be able to get a small 3-5Kva transformer to go up to 480vac but I can’t seem to find a VFD that takes 480vac. Most of the ones I come across are three phase input/output.

Considered rotary converter among other things and it started getting a bit expensive.

Any input would be a big help!

An RPC will cost about the same as a 480 VAC input VFD. Less if you find a decent motor where the freight won't break the bank

But you will still need a transformer.

Either single-phase on the input of a 480 VAC-capable idler OR the VFD.

Else a 3-phase on the output of an RPC with 240 VAC idler.

Same-again, even if you used a Phase-Perfect. This drillpress isn't one where you can casually swap the motor for single-phase or DC, either. Not impossible. Just not all that easy.

Most VFD mavins say just connect to the high-speed windings of a two-speed motor and let the VFD dial-in lower speeds. I think Doc's way gives you better low-RPM performance. Large holes like lower RPM.

If I were doing that, I'd use a separate ON/OFF switch - the enable/RUN one on the VFD itself only "maybe"

I'd put the Hi-LO function under a flip-cover as a reminder.. maybe even with a switch that cut-off power as soon as I lifted the flap to change the speed.

I once knew a man who seemed never to forget anything.
Damned if I can remember his name.

Same again with switches. If it CAN go wrong?

Later, if not sooner.. it will.

Back