What's new
What's new

Ab vfd parameter clarification needed

Rick_B

Stainless
I'm looking for some parameter clarification for an AB 161S-AA 02NPK VFD - Specifically vin the are of current limits and two wire control. If you have some familiarity with this model VFD I can provide additinal detail regarding my questions.

Thanks
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not insulting you, or trying to be a smart ass.

Why not contact the manufacturer / tech support? Or have we moved beyond their realm? Gross example you bought a clothes washer and have configured it now to dry as well. Maytag isn't touching it or giving any help to you.

Never did get whole story about how I was dropped on :ack2:my head twice in one day. :ack2:

I am not insulting you, or trying to be a smart ass.

Why not contact the manufacturer / tech support? Or have we moved beyond their realm? Gross example you bought a clothes washer and have configured it now to dry as well. Maytag isn't touching it or giving any help to you.

Never did get whole story about how I was dropped on :ack2:my head twice in one day. :ack2:

I did contact rockwell automation - they will not deal with a private individual any more - they need a service contract or a valid company

I agree it is spelled out but the two parameters you pointed to don't result in a start. C01 is an input so there has to be a corresponding output that that goes through the maintained switch. On other VFD's I have programmed that output was thrugh a common terminal. There is also a paramter value of 31 for the C01 to C05 terminals that determines the source of the start command. I can't get that 31 value to appear on the list. I believe there are a number of interrelated parameters that need to be set.

Rick

We have same controlled with drum switch.

Modified ins set of contacts to "MAKE" before others and use that as part of STOP loop.

Another set switched on either way is RUN and last set switched only in reverse is RUN REVERSE.

Cannot remember which wires but the above labels should get you close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You did not clarify what you have tried, so lets go through the other parameters. This is a UK model but the parameters may have been changed, depending on if the default is US or UK changes the parameters.

Ideally you should do a factory reset to set all the values back to their default settings b85 = 07 for 60Hz if you are in the US.To activate this parameter, set the value and press the Enter Key, then hold the Select, Up, Down, and STOP Keys for 3 seconds, release only the STOP Key until display is blinking, then release all of the keys. When you reset the VFD the default US setting is 3 wire control, C01 =22, C02 = 20, C03=21 with C13 = NC, the UK is 2 wire. If US these all need to be changed for 2 wire control

Terminal inputs are active through a connection from P24 to the designated input (not L), the inputs can be set for NO or NC and these differ depending on the default set loaded.

Parameter protection, check that b31 should be 00, if you can't access parameters it may be because of the lock. Make sure none of the terminals C01-C05 are programed for 15 SFT. The default setting for b31 is 01 All parameters locked except PF01 when this input is active

A01 indicates the frequency source, select 00 for keypad, 01 for O/OI analogue reference
A02 start command select, should be 01 = control terminal block

C01 = 00 Run Forward
C02 = 01 Run Reverse
C03 = 02 or 06 (JOG). Note the factory US setting is 21 which is 3 wire Stop with C13 set as NC this must be reprogrammed

C11 - C15 must all be 00 or NO contacts.

I really SHOULD close this thread for a worthless and meaningless title.

But I fixed your title because I still could.

I did contact rockwell automation - they will not deal with a private individual any more - they need a service contract or a valid company
Not true. You only need a TechConnect contract for drives tech support if you want it after normal business hours, M-F 8-5 CST. They will ask you the name of your company, but just give them your name if you are a sole proprietor. They are looking up records to see if you have called before, but it doesn’t really matter, it’s just so they can tell if it’s something ongoing.

That said, the 160 drives are long obsolete and have not been sold new for well over a decade now. Support for them is waning.

Thanks mksj - that all seems to kae sense. I'll give your recommendatuons a try.

JST - I appreciate your effort - thanks

Jraef - appreciate the info. I wasn`t sure what I would be getting into if I gave them a fictious cmpany name

Rick

mksj - so I decided to follow your instructions exactly starting with the factory reset. When I selected parameter B85 - the only values available to me were 01 - 05. values 06 and 07 were not listed. I had previously programmed C01 for run forward but had not used the P24 terminal. When I switched the wire to P24 the run command worked as expected. So while everything seems to be working as expected I am still very curius why certain parameter values are not available/ Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of your help
Rick

You may have a special version, in which there is non-standard programming.

Otherwise, there may be a code that must be entered to get further in the parameters. That should be listed in the manual.

You may have a special version, in which there is non-standard programming.

Otherwise, there may be a code that must be entered to get further in the parameters. That should be listed in the manual.

I suspect you are correct - there is likely some hidden/not obvious paramter path that would allow me access to all of the values. Given that things ar4e working for what I need - I a leanibg to just moving on :)

Rick

There were 3 different version of the 160 SSC, Series A, B and C. Yours is a B (pre-1998) since you have parameters that start with A or b. In that series there were a LOT of special versions made for OEMs and the "reset to default settings" was restricted by the OEMs via custom firmware programming in b85. Sounds like that's what you have and there is no way to "jail break" it that I am aware of.

There were 3 different version of the 160 SSC, Series A, B and C. Yours is a B (pre-1998) since you have parameters that start with A or b. In that series there were a LOT of special versions made for OEMs and the "reset to default settings" was restricted by the OEMs via custom firmware programming in b85. Sounds like that's what you have and there is no way to "jail break" it that I am aware of.

That makes sense. Given that the few things I need are working I think I am goingto move on

Thanls for all the help

Rick

I don't know the 160 product line at all, I'm a 1304/1336 guy (yeah, that much older), but... A-B was NOT shy about building 'for-customer'. I've found some of my legacy surplus units had special stuff, I found ways about it, either by figuring out, and changing my controls to work around it, or by replacing the non-ordinary criticals with workable others.

I also found that an 'ordinary' drive would do 'different' things if an interface module or communication module were installed... so I usually remove unnecessary stuff.

Back