What's new
What's new

ABB ACH550 STOP before direction change ???

Ksor

Aluminum
I have a test setup with a ACH550 and a motor.
I want to experiment a little before I hook it up to my lathe.

I have managed to get this to work:

1) A footswitch has to be activated for it to start and if released when running it STOPs
2) I can START and STOP
3) Change the RPM/Freq and the motor is reacting accordingly
4) I can change direction FORWARD or REVERSE

BUT ...

I don't like that I can change the direction WHILE it's running !
I would like it to STOP when changing direction so I HAVE to press START again.

I can't find this configuration in the DANISH manual, but I think it could be done.

but HOW ?

If the VFD has a relay control, you may be able to program it to open the relay when the motor is running. That can allow you to remove power from the FWD and REV switches, leaving only the STOP operational when the motor is running.

You may have to set the switches to operate in momentary mode, similar to a standard start/stop single speed setup. Not all VFDs allow the switches to be in momentary, so that may not apply to your unit.

Her is a useable solution, but still you can change direction while running - not good !

ACH550.jpg

With VFDs, if you are using the VFD itself to change rotation, you can command it instantly if you want, the VFD will change direction when it can. In other words you can't (usually) command it to destroy itself. When running FWD and you give it a REV command, it will automatically decelerate the load, then re-accelerate it in the opposite direction.

That said, the ACH product is an HVAC drive, not a Machinery drive. That means it is not designed for the kind of overload capacity you would expect in a machine tool application, and in the case of the ACH550 is is not capable of adding a braking resistor. So if you attempt a controlled decel (as opposed to Coasting), it may trip on OV as the motor regenerates to the DC bus, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. So make sure you set the Stop profile to "Coast" and you should be fine, albeit you will have to wait.

I'm NOT gonna use these facilities because I have a mechanical brake on the motor.
But I've seen lots of parameters in the menu system that has to do with handling the braking by injection DC to the motor ... yeah, not by resistor.

I'll use my solution and see what drawbacks it has in the daily work in the shop ... I just don't like the instant change of direction ;-((

Back