What's new
What's new

ABB VFD repairable or not

TFPace

Stainless
Hello Everyone,

I have an ABB ACS550 drive on my OMAX waterjet. The Power and Fault lights are not illuminating and I have power to the drive. OMAX customer service says it's toast and time to replace this item.

I know there are companies that specialize in repairing VFD's. I would appreciate the positives and negatives to whether I go ahead and buy new or have this piece repaired.

The model is ACS550-U1-059A-4
Serial number is 2061402524

Thanks guys,

Tom

If time is mony, Purchase a replacement. but I hear you, a 30-40hp drive is not gonna be cheap.

I've got a similar capacity 440V unit, Toshiba though, just sitting on the floor. I keep thinking I should get it repaired.

But the replacement is working fine....;-)

If time is mony, Purchase a replacement. but I hear you, a 30-40hp drive is not gonna be cheap.

I've got a similar capacity 440V unit, Toshiba though, just sitting on the floor. I keep thinking I should get it repaired.

But the replacement is working fine....;-)

Yes. $3800 to $6,100.00'ish for a new drive. And not to mention customers hate hearing that their works is delayed. I could have a new programmed VFD by the middle of the week but I'm a tight wad.

Yes. $3800 to $6,100.00'ish for a new drive. And not to mention customers hate hearing that their works is delayed. I could have a new programmed VFD by the middle of the week but I'm a tight wad.

That lesser number cost would get my attention. Rebuilds (question the term) always cost about 60% of new.
If you found a service center that would replace the entire defective board AND THE MAIN CAPACITORS for fair money.
A repaired unit should be as good as a new one . MTBF is the kicker!

That lesser number cost would get my attention. Rebuilds (question the term) always cost about 60% of new.
If you found a service center that would replace the entire defective board AND THE MAIN CAPACITORS for fair money.
A repaired unit should be as good as a new one . MTBF is the kicker!
There's a rebuild shop with 35 years of experience less than an hour from me. Calling them in the morning. Their warranty is 2 years on the complete unit too.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

There's a rebuild shop with 35 years of experience less than an hour from me. Calling them in the morning. Their warranty is 2 years on the complete unit too.

Keep us posted!

Ask them if they want a TOSVERT ;-)

Got the equipment to power up the DC bus to see if the rectifier stage failed? Check for burned parts or open fuse links?

Sparky

I'm just wondering..

How knowing about burned parts of rectifier failure could help a typical shop owner make any decision about repairing a VFD?

A fuse, not a bad thing to look for. But the rest is electro bench work that takes a bit to get spooled up for.

It's not like telling the repair facility that "I think it's the flux capacitor" is gonna change their repair rate. They still need to go through it all in order to stand behind their work.

My mistake. I'm used to making the odd board-level repair from time to time when it's an obvious and easy part. Sometimes I forget not everyone has a soldering iron handy.

My mistake. I'm used to making the odd board-level repair from time to time when it's an obvious and easy part. Sometimes I forget not everyone has a soldering iron handy.

Knowledge is a valuable thing... perhaps the most valuable thing..

I just sent out (2) customers' ACS880's for full rebuilds. We use PCS out of Louisiana. They give a 5 year warranty and claim to use mil-spec parts, yada yada yada... $3600 quote to rebuild each one plus they pay the freight. We sell new ones for about $7K.

If it's not tossed yet:

Galco (who advertise here) have a repair department. Found out when ordering a metal box and talk went to VFD's. They have been doing it for years.
I was pleased that the guy I was talking to knew so much about metal boxes and other stuff. So I trust what he said about the repair department.

Forgot:
The associate said Galco sells VFD's.

Last edited:
ACS550 is still a current product. But I would buy a new one, then send this one out to be repaired and keep it as a spare. Keep the work flowing rather than waiting for either next time something happens.

Local guy located the bad caps. Huntron Tracker 2000 is a techs friend. I should have drive back first of next week.

A spare drive is in the works too. Downtime hurts everyone.

If it's not tossed yet:

Galco (who advertise here) have a repair department. Found out when ordering a metal box and talk went to VFD's. They have been doing it for years.
I was pleased that the guy I was talking to knew so much about metal boxes and other stuff. So I trust what he said about the repair department.

The majority of my goods have come from Galco, actually.

Competitive "enough" pricing, though seldom the VERY cheapest. But they know their stuff, run attractive specials and closeouts of still-decent goods often so their own stock stays fresher, and make support info easy to find, faster than some others. I also appreciate the estimated availabilty and backorder predictions if/as/when goods happen to NOT be in or "near" stock..

Mind .. they have competent competition. Lots of it.

ACS550 is still a current product. But I would buy a new one, then send this one out to be repaired and keep it as a spare. Keep the work flowing rather than waiting for either next time something happens.

I think a spare is a good idea. Expensive in some cases. Also for spare parts.

I think a spare is a good idea. Expensive in some cases. Also for spare parts.

You ever manage a factory or production line?

Costs?

I once had a foreman come expecting to BEG for a rebuild of a Baldor polisher.
He was gobsmacked when he didn't HAVE to beg.

I had the brand new one I'd been hoarding brought down from where I had it stashed in our warehouse and installed that evening.

His team were cranking out 8 million dollars worth - at COST - of fine goods.

In the early 1980's

If a freakin Rolls-Royce motorcar could have increased our production?
MY freakin' job to see to it he HAD one! And a spare, if need be.

If I was to "add value" I had to know what he was going to need and WHEN before HE knew it, too! Hard to plan your route out of a swamp when you are the guy up to your ass in 'gators.

Poultry or cows must be FED and WATERED. Starve them? No eggs, butter, or milk!
Learnt THAT much as barefoot 3 year old feedin' G'mum's chickn's!

Damned shame so many "MBA" courses miss the obvious ... and figure you can cost-cut your way to a fortune..

:(

Last edited:
To the extent i know, ABB drives contains IGBT which is a kind of transistor, which controls the drive. this part is repairable. Repairing will be cheaper than buying a new one.

If you require a specific knowledge on electrical drives pls click on the below link.
Variable frequency drives or Ac drives-Three phase induction motor drive slip power recovery schemes - Electrical engineering

And if you require a specific knowledge on electrical transformers, then pls click on the below link
what is current transformer? | different types of CT connections - Electrical engineering

To the extent i know, ABB drives contains IGBT which is a kind of transistor, which controls the drive. this part is repairable. Repairing will be cheaper than buying a new one.

If you require a specific knowledge on electrical drives pls click on the below link.
Variable frequency drives or Ac drives-Three phase induction motor drive slip power recovery schemes - Electrical engineering

And if you require a specific knowledge on electrical transformers, then pls click on the below link
what is current transformer? | different types of CT connections - Electrical engineering

I thought you folks didn't get along well with the Chinese as to whom was meant to spam whom?

chinese_website.jpg

Glow-ball-eye-sation again?

Y'all outsourcing the spam to each other, now?

That'll put the flox among the shitkins!

Back