What's new
What's new

Adding another motor to a RPC

garcher

Aluminum
Hi all, I have a 15 HP RPC for my Cazeneuve HB150 lathe with a 12HP motor.Highest spindle speed is 2500rpm which it will not achieve.I want to add a 10 HP motor to the RPC.I wired it to the breaker for the lathe but it will not start the 10HP motor (turns very slow).Do i need to add start capacitors to the 10HP?If so how do I wire them in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn Archer
Middle GA

Hi all, I have a 15 HP RPC for my Cazeneuve HB150 lathe with a 12HP motor.Highest spindle speed is 2500rpm which it will not achieve.I want to add a 10 HP motor to the RPC.I wired it to the breaker for the lathe but it will not start the 10HP motor (turns very slow).Do i need to add start capacitors to the 10HP?If so how do I wire them in? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn Archer
Middle GA

A supplementary idler needs to be on "the RPC side" of switchgear & protective devices for the load, generally started AFTER the primary idler has reach speed and stabilized, itself then fully up to speed before the load is switched-on. 1, 2, 3 step.

Sounds as if you have wired yours in parallel to the load on the switched side instead.

If so, the original 15 HP RPC is being asked to started what it sees as a 22 HP motor instead of a 12 HP.

Wired more advantageusly, you start the 15 HP idler, then the 10 HP (you'll need an appropriate constactor for this part). Oce both are online and stable, the two together, acting now as a 25 HP RPC, start the 12 HP lathe motor.

CAVEAT: That you have a 15 HP RPC running a 12 HP load is not optimal, but...even so, you should get the 2500 RPM anyway under no load or low load.

Dig deeper into the drivetrain's condition. Something else may be amiss, and probably IS.

You aren't 440 V connected inside the Caze and trying to run off a 220 V RPC, are you?

The Cazenuve has no clutch and it’s motor is 220V.Next highest spindle speed is 1800 rpm which it will achieve in about 7 seconds.I discounted the lathe wiring and tried to start the 10 hp motor by itself and it won’t get up to speed.Im thinking my motor which I got from work may be bad.

Thanks ,
Glenn

The Cazenuve has no clutch and it’s motor is 220V.Next highest spindle speed is 1800 rpm which it will achieve in about 7 seconds.I discounted the lathe wiring and tried to start the 10 hp motor by itself and it won’t get up to speed.Im thinking my motor which I got from work may be bad.

Thanks ,
Glenn

"Bad" how? Perhaps just not wired as it needs to be? If not something obvious on a double-check, then show us the data plates for both the original 15 HP idler and for the 10 HP you are trying to add.

BTW - is the original 15 HP idling at full RPM?

While we are about it, more info on the HB 150, please! A brief search did not even find that model at all.

Cazeneuve seems to have pretty consistently coded the lathe's swing over bed into the model number (metric units). An HBX 360 is actually 14" swing, or near as dammit, and uses a 7 HP motor.

One would expect a HB 150 to have been smaller than the 360 and 5XX series, so a "150" with 12 HP is even more interesting.

Sorry for the misinformation, I did have the motor wired incorrectly.And the lathe is a HB 575.10 HP motor runs fine now.Could you provide a schematic to wire the 10HP in correctly? Thanks for being so patient.Idler motor is
10 HP( I thought is was 15)
1755 rpm
220/460
27/14.5 amps
SF 1.15
3 phase

Idler motor
10Hp
1760rpm
230/460
24.4/12.2 amps
SF 1.15
3 ph

Sorry for the misinformation, I did have the motor wired incorrectly.And the lathe is a HB 575.10 HP motor runs fine now.Could you provide a schematic to wire the 10HP in correctly? Thanks for being so patient.Idler motor is
10 HP( I thought is was 15)
1755 rpm
220/460
27/14.5 amps
SF 1.15
3 phase

Idler motor
10Hp
1760rpm
230/460
24.4/12.2 amps
SF 1.15
3 ph

Makes more sense all-around, now.

RPC side isn't complicated. Wotever the original 10 HP had that "worked OK" is left alone.
I would put a tach onto that and confirm the RPM, though.

A 3-P capable contactor with appropriate current rating is needed to drop the three legs of the supplementary idler motor onto its same-same leg outputs of the primary. I favour 60A 3-P Mercury displacement units for that. No external arcs, self-renewing contact "surfaces". "This end UP" matters on those!

:)

The HBX-360-BC had a full schematic glued to the inside of the electrical cabinet door.
If your one has gone walkabout, there is plenty of Cazeneuve info online. Possibly the best documented lathes as have ever existed, the Cazeneuves are, and not JUST in French. They have a short ton of manuals, schematics, and diagrams published plus "factory" videos on the newer ones, and plenty of user or dealer videos on the older ones.

Motor re-config 2XX VAC / 4XX VAC, BTW is not done at the motor peckerhead on the 360. It doesn't even HAVE one, close-coupled right-angle rubber boots, rather.

All wires are instead carried to the electrical cabinet for easy re-config on DIN rail terminal blocks there.

Neat idea, save that as usual, DIN-rail blocks are such overly fragile shite I'm re-doing my one with stouter old-skewl goods.

YMMV, but rocket insemination, it is not.

Back