What's new
What's new

Allen Bradley 1336 VFD problems

gregmik

Aluminum
3 years ago I bought a 1336-b030-an-en & have the books of a older model. My electrician says its a updated model F. It has a 1336-GMI remote I/O comm. module & built in HMI.This machine was used & guarenteed to work. well I finally got around to hooking it up. My electrician cant seem to reprogram it & we cant find the switch it should have to set it in program mode.we are not using the remote in our application. It has a F 2 fault that it wont get rid of. The electrician is charging by the hour & I dont know what to do as he already has about 4 hours programming time in. ANY HELP APPRECIATED.

3 years ago I bought a 1336-b030-an-en & have the books of a older model. My electrician says its a updated model F. ..... we cant find the switch it should have to set it in program mode ..... It has a F 2 fault that it wont get rid of
Your manual is very old compared to your drive, which is fairly new. I suspect you've got a 1336F, which is the "1336 Plus II" drive, and your manual is for the original "1336" drive.

Your Catalog Number: 1336-B030-AN-EN is probably incomplete. Look inside the drive enclosure, in the bottom left corner. There should be a silver sticker there with the catalog number on it. From your description, it probably reads something like this: 1336F-B030-AN-EN-GM1-Lxx-Hxxx where the "x" is values that I don't know. Note especially the "F" character following the initial 1336.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you've got a 1336F drive:

AB Tech support homepage: Tech Support Homepage for 1336F Drive

User Manual:
1336F User's Manual

Quick Start Guide:
1336F Quick Start Guide

Common Wiring Schemes:
1336F Common Wiring Schemes

Programming Log Sheet:
1336F Programming Log Sheet

****************** Problem #1: Cannot get into Programming Mode

There is no switch anymore for Programming Mode, that was dropped a long time ago in the 1336 line. With your unit, to get into the mode where you program the drive's parameters, go to the keypad and do the following:

Note: The Increment (upwards arrow) and Decrement (downwards arrow) pushbuttons described below are the arrows on the TOP row of pushbuttons. Certain models of HMI also have up/down arrows in the lower part of the keypad --- don't use them for programming operations:

1) From the Status Display, press the <Enter> key (top row, far right) (The Status Display is what the HMI displays when the power is turned on to the drive.)
2) System will display: "Choose Mode"
3) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the system displays: "Program"
4) Press the <Enter> key.
5) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the display shows the group name of closely related parameters you want to change. "Setup" and "Analog I/O" are examples of group names.
6) Press the <Enter> key.
7) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the parameter you want to change is displayed.
8) Press the <SEL> (Select) key to move the cursor to the 2nd line of the display and edit the value of the parameter.
9) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the 2nd line of the display shows the value you want to assign to the selected parameter.
10) Press the <Enter> key.
11) You may continue programming other parameters as needed, or exit the programming mode by pressing the <ESC> (Escape) key 3 or 4 times until you are back at the Status Display.

The Quick Start Guide pointed to above has more programming information, and the User Manual has the whole, pretty lengthly, story.

****************** Problem #2: Constant Fault Code "F2"

F2 is displayed when the Auxiliary Input Interlock is in the Open state.

The Auxiliary Input Interlock is a digital input that should only come into play if you have an Control Interface Option Board installed. The Option is a PC board, about 3" by 7", with a terminal strip along one edge labeled "TB3". Check to see if you have this option board installed by looking at the bottom of the drive. The bottom-most horizontal strip of terminals is "TB1", that's where the input power and the motor terminals are connected. The next strip up is "TB2", that's where all the signal output relays are interfaced. If it exists, "TB3" is immediately above "TB2". If it does not exist, then you have got some other problem with the drive, most likely just an invalid configuration or incorrectly set jumpers. Post the complete catalog number of the drive, as read off the silver sticker on the inside of the drive, and we'll move ahead from there.

If, on the other hand, your drive DOES have a TB3 terminal strip, then the Control Interface Option Board is installed, but your particular application doesn't use the Auxiliary Input Interlock. If that's the case, and you haven't reconfigured the location (terminal pin number) of the Auxiliary Input Interlock to some other pin, then its default location is TB3, Pin 24. You can disable the Aux Input Interlock by doing the following:

1) From the Status Display, press the <Enter> key.
2) System will display: "Choose Mode"
3) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the system displays: "Program"
4) Press the <Enter> key.
5) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the display shows "Digital I/O"
6) Press the <Enter> key.
7) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the display shows "Input Mode"
8) Press the <Enter> key.
9) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the display shows "TB3 Term 24 Sel"
10) IF the 2nd line of the display now reads: "Aux Fault", then we've guessed right and you should proceed with the last few instructions below. If it doesn't say "Aux Fault", then something else has gone wrong: Note down what it says and post it along with the catalog number, and get out of Programming Mode by pressing <ESC> (Escape) 3 or 4 times until you're back at the Status Display.
11) Press the <SEL> ("Select") key. This puts the cursor on the 2nd line of the display so you can change the parameter's value.
12) Repeatedly press the Increment or Decrement key until the 2nd line of the display shows "Unused"
13) Press the <Enter> key. The cursor should now be back on the top line, which still says "TB3 Term 24 Sel". The 2nd line of the display should give the value of this parameter, which you've just set to "Unused".
14) Press <ESC> (Escape) 3 or 4 times until you're back at the Status Display.
15) I can't remember offhand, but I think that changing any of the "Digital I/O" parameters requires you to cycle power to the drive before they take effect. Leave power off the drive for a couple minutes to make sure the capacitors have drained and the circuitry is all off.

A couple of suggestions for easy startups:

1. You should probably download the new manuals, a whole lot of stuff has changed over the life of the 1336 drive.
2. The Quick Start Guide is just invaluable for getting your application off the ground fast. Totally worthwhile to download it, print it out, and study it.
3. The 1336 Plus II drive is extremely configurable. If there's something reasonable you want done, it quite likely can do it.
4. If you're still having troubles, it would be helpful to post the following information:
A. The catalog number on the silver sticker inside the drive
B. Whether or not you have a Control Interface Option Board (the one that has "TB3" on it)
C. If you do have a Control Interface Option Board, please post its model number. It will be on a sticker on the Option Board itself, starting with "1336-L", and then have a single digit number and possibly one additional character "E" at the end.
5. The part of your catalog number that reads "B030" means the drive is expecting to see input power of between 380 and 480 Volts AC, 3-phase, and that it can drive a motor rated at 30 horsepower. Does your power and motor match these numbers? The motor, of course, can be less HP but not more.

I hope this helps. Post if you've got further problems.

Good luck,
Dave

Back