What's new
What's new

Allen Bradley 160-AA18NP03 Series C ?

catch22

Aluminum
Hi everyone, I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get the 160-aa18np03 series c to work on my lathe. The VFD is a 7.5 HP and my lathe motor is 3 HP, I have it wired up and have a jumper wire set between 7 and 8 on the terminal block. I turn it on and the motor runs very slowly it only goes up to 1.7 to 2.0 on the VFD screen. And I have it wired for single phase in. Any advice or help setting this up would be great.
Thanks Mike

Something is wrong here. 7.5HP 230V is 22A, the 160 only went up to 18A (5HP). If it's a .75HP (3/4HP) drive, not 7.5HP, and you are trying to run a 3HP motor with it, it is going into current limit to protect itself...

Second possibility: those went out of production almost 15 years ago, so if it has been sitting around for years without being powered, the caps may have gone bad and you instantly fried them when you powered it up. The 160 was a very low-end drive, it likely didn't have any protection functions that would trip it off line, so it's just sitting there with no DC bus caps waiting for additional failures to take place.

I have a manual for the Series C, it doesn't say anywhere that you can feed a 3 phase unit with single phase, but it doesn't say you can't either. It DOES say however that if you use a single phase, the incoming line must go to L2 and L3, not L1. On the single phase designed versions, they don't give you an L1 terminal.

Something is wrong here. 7.5HP 230V is 22A, the 160 only went up to 18A (5HP). If it's a .75HP (3/4HP) drive, not 7.5HP, and you are trying to run a 3HP motor with it, it is going into current limit to protect itself...

Second possibility: those went out of production almost 15 years ago, so if it has been sitting around for years without being powered, the caps may have gone bad and you instantly fried them when you powered it up. The 160 was a very low-end drive, it likely didn't have any protection functions that would trip it off line, so it's just sitting there with no DC bus caps waiting for additional failures to take place.

I have a manual for the Series C, it doesn't say anywhere that you can feed a 3 phase unit with single phase, but it doesn't say you can't either. It DOES say however that if you use a single phase, the incoming line must go to L2 and L3, not L1. On the single phase designed versions, they don't give you an L1 terminal.

How do I post a picture on here?

Back