What's new
What's new

Allen-Bradley 709 TOD

geshka

Aluminum
Hello folks.

Restoring K.O.Lee surface grinder and having issues with electric wiring. For some reason cannot make spindle motor working. I was applying three phase and manually moved AB starter armature - motor is starting. Something is wrong with control circuitry. SO I am looking for any info about those AD 709 starters/contactor What are those two additional modules on a sides ? What are those push levers for ? what are these round knobs ? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Photo 2021-09-18, 7 03 30 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 2021-09-18, 7 03 30 PM.jpg
    Photo 2021-09-18, 7 03 30 PM.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 45
They look like overloads, and would act to open the contactor, normally by opening the control power to the contactor.. That could have something to do with your problem.

That bluish stuff, is it corrosion? That won't help.

Who ever is using that bare copper bundle as a tie wrap deserves a merit badge. The strands are hanging above a high voltage component. :nutter:

Remove every connection and clean all the corrosion with vinegar or phosphoric acid.
Do this one wire at a time and you won't have a chance to screw anything up.
Then push in those white overload reset buttons.

I suspect electrical discontinuity.

Then push in those white overload reset buttons.

Thanks for the answer - Rons
So those half-round buttons are overload protection and do you know what are these rounded for ? They are not rotating or moving up or down.

Left to right:

Overload heater, auxiliary contact jumpered to coil, three power contacts and then another overload heater.

Old style three phase starter with only two heaters before that became illegal.

Judging by the visible corrosion, your contacts are probably filthy. Strip it down and clean the contacts by rubbing a dollar bill between them - especially those overloads.

Thanks for the answer - Rons
So those half-round buttons are overload protection and do you know what are these rounded for ? They are not rotating or moving up or down.

The half-round while buttons are manual reset buttons.

I suggest that if you are not sure then just remove the control while properly labeling every wire. Maybe your picture above is good enough.
Then clean the heck out of it. Take a close-up picture of the thing for a better evaluation. The eval is free.

Last edited:
The round white objects are heaters for the overload relay. Current pass through them which then heats a stem that is called a "solder pot". There is a spring loaded rod inside the sleeve that held in place with solder. When the heater gets too hot because of an overload, the solder melts, the rod rotates and opens a set of electrical contacts thus shutting off the motor. Once the overload cools the solder solidifies allowing the ol to be reset by pushing the half round white buttons.

Tom

I removed my guess about the round pieces being a knob.
I know the heaters are directly below secured by two screws. Are the two round cylinders on top of the heaters just handles?

Looks like heaters - I unscrewed two screws and detached it for cleaning. Body is ceramic, not plastic and it seems to be a resistance (need to measure with better ohmmeter) It is sitting on the brass stem (loosely)and heating it - as TDegenhart suggested.

I am in process of cleaning all the contacts and wires. Hopefully it will work.

Looks like heaters - I unscrewed two screws and detached it for cleaning. Body is ceramic, not plastic and it seems to be a resistance (need to measure with better ohmmeter) It is sitting on the brass stem (loosely)and heating it - as TDegenhart suggested.

I am in process of cleaning all the contacts and wires. Hopefully it will work.

The heaters are sized for the motor they are used with. A resistance check will do no good other than saying the heater is good or open. The correct heater is selected from a chart from A-B with motor full load amps (FLA) and the correct heater to be used. There probably is a heater table pasted inside the enclosure.

Tom

Thanks Tom. No paper was found inside the electric box -hopefully it was properly picked by manufacturer, Anyway - I am isolating issue right now.

Thanks folks. I found and issue. It was rewired by somebody later - I don't believe manufacturer did that - and this added wire was broken in the middle...

Back