What's new
What's new

American rotary (or other) vs DIY?

CBudz

Plastic
So yet another phase converter discussion...

Up front: are these cheap phase converters like American Rotary reliable? Vs buying a reliable motor and building my own

I've got some 3 phase equipment; Bridgeport, Colchester, band saw, speedaire compressor (has a new single phase motor but I got the 3 phase motor too). I've accumulated over the years but never had the power. I've been traveling for work the last few years and now the itch to run them is irresistible.

This is at the hobbyist level and my house only has 100 amp service, for now.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So yet another phase converter discussion...

Up front: are these cheap phase converters like American Rotary reliable? Vs buying a reliable motor and building my own

I've got some 3 phase equipment; Bridgeport, Colchester, band saw, speedaire compressor (has a new single phase motor but I got the 3 phase motor too). I've accumulated over the years but never had the power. I've been traveling for work the last few years and now the itch to run them is irresistible.

This is at the hobbyist level and my house only has 100 amp service, for now.

Thoughts?

My new American Rotary (AR-20) RPC came with a Baldor idler motor, a brand I'd always considered pretty good. Not sure I'd call it cheap at $1,320. The old smaller one, also an AR, has served me for several years without a bobble, running two 2HP 3-phase motors for a lathe and a mill. YMMV.

My new American Rotary (AR-20) RPC came with a Baldor idler motor, a brand I'd always considered pretty good. Not sure I'd call it cheap at $1,320. The old smaller one, also an AR, has served me for several years without a bobble, running two 2HP 3-phase motors for a lathe and a mill. YMMV.
Thanks. I call them cheap cause they seem to dominate eBay and Amazon with little reviews.

I think 3hp is the largest motor I have, what size rpc was your older one? 15?

My old one was a 5HP, but they have changed the rating designations since that one was built. It would and often did run both 2HP machines at the same time, and was rated to start a 5HP motor if it was not under load and run a total of 5HP.

The biggest problem is motor start current. They will likely advise you to get a 10HP RPC to be sure you can start the 3HP motor, although it might start on a 5HP one. If it doesn't, though, you'll have to arrange to ship it back or sell it (not sure what they'd do for you here) and get the bigger one. In my case, the price differential (from 15 to 20) was smaller than it would be for you going from 5 to 10, so it's worth some discussion with them. I'd suggest giving them a call. Their support is really good.

My old one was a 5HP, but they have changed the rating designations since that one was built. It would and often did run both 2HP machines at the same time, and was rated to start a 5HP motor if it was not under load and run a total of 5HP.

The biggest problem is motor start current. They will likely advise you to get a 10HP RPC to be sure you can start the 3HP motor, although it might start on a 5HP one. If it doesn't, though, you'll have to arrange to ship it back or sell it (not sure what they'd do for you here) and get the bigger one. In my case, the price differential (from 15 to 20) was smaller than it would be for you going from 5 to 10, so it's worth some discussion with them. I'd suggest giving them a call. Their support is really good.
Thanks, I'll call em

I think your biggest problem would be cost of shipping to the Aland Islands
Free shipping with Amazon, don't know if they'd cover returns. Either way I'll discuss which product is best suited for all my equipment with them

Is the Aland Island some sort of machinist mecca or something? Maybe a good school there? Seems to be more than a few members from there, that is why I was curious about them.

I use a 10 hp American Rotary to start a 5hp gear head engine lathe, no clutch. Starts in high gear no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi C Budz
What is your supply voltage? and what voltages do your various machines 3 phase motors operate from?
If this is your hobby and you have the ability to build, I think you should build it your self.

Jim

Hi C Budz
What is your supply voltage? and what voltages do your various machines 3 phase motors operate from?
If this is your hobby and you have the ability to build, I think you should build it your self.

Jim
220 supply

Bridgeport is 230 and 1 hp (incorrectly posted in op).

Haven't looked at the motors in lathe or bandsaw yet, I don't know how much variations they had over the years but maybe you folks know

Clausing Colchester 600 VS 12"
DoAll contour matic 16

Has anybody used the unique3phase transformer method?

Someone posted years ago using it for their lathe, but the book itself says it's method is no good for lathes, Mills, welders etc.

Reference thread: using the transformer method to make 3 phase?

I've read that book, don't remember the comment about it not being good for lathe, and not sure why it would even matter. Have not tried it, still considering it, my new shop is all concrete and any sound gets amplified, might just try a sound attenuating box over my rpc.

I've read that book, don't remember the comment about it not being good for lathe, and not sure why it would even matter. Have not tried it, still considering it, my new shop is all concrete and any sound gets amplified, might just try a sound attenuating box over my rpc.
I can dig it up when I get home. I'm still learning but if IIRC, the transformer converter is built per motor. It performs "poorly" with variable loads compared to the equipment they use: compressor, vacuum, and fan motors.

It sounds like a fun project, reason I bought the book. When I get around to it, I'll post results

We built a RPC from a 15hp motor that was $30 from a junkyard and a $100 eBay kit with the capacitors and switches (probably five times the component cost, but it worked on the first try). That thing ran a 5 hp CNC lathe, couple manual lathes and mills with 2 or 3 hp each, and a 300 amp welder without us paying attention to what all was running at the same time. It's still running at my father in laws wood shop.

We upgraded to a Phase Perfect once we had the money and were getting better CNC equipment that I didn't want to expose to the homebrew RPC, but that thing got us moving. I don't miss the noise of it, but for $130 and a couple hours it was a wild leg bargain.

Hi C Budz,
I am going to assume that the network supply voltage in your part of the world is 230v/400v so I also assume your machines that require 3 phase are 400v/415v.I realise some smaller 3 phase motors can be re-connected to operate from 230v/240v but then other considerations in machine wiring to be done. So I think you would need something that outputs 415v 3 phase. Would this be correct?
I have built many converters using this higher voltage method. I think a Rotary has many advantages but a higher voltage method most certainly has some advantages over a rotary.
I am very sure that Unique 3phase would never have said or written that this method was not suitable for Lathes & Mills.I can tell you that the higher voltage method requires the load to be more constant.
So something like an air compressor, you size the single run capacitor for the area of load (between Cut In and Cut Out). One of the best advantages of this type of converter is it's ability to start under load,which is opposite when using a rotary.
Now if using a lathe, quite often people say there rotary won't start the motor in High Range. With the higher voltage method you could just simply have a switch to switch in another run capacitor, you could even put a current sensing relay to do the same job automatically.
As for running more than one 3phase motor from a single transformer, a lot of people get this wrong. I think this is because there was a paper written and sold for a long time and I think they would still be selling them now and it says this method the autotransformer will only run one motor. This paper never stated who wrote it (maybe Donald Duck) but it is wrong.
and of course the total amount of motor load can not exceed the transformer output.
I would like to hear from anybody that has built this method and where it didn't work. But I will re-say the rotary has many more advantages.
In your case my thoughts are, you need 3 phase 415v so you will need a transformer single phase 240v to 415v can be simply done using an old electric welder with the sliding choke.
A big advantage of doing things like this is you plug and play the machine.

Jim

Hi C Budz,
I am going to assume that the network supply voltage in your part of the world is 230v/400v so I also assume your machines that require 3 phase are 400v/415v.I realise some smaller 3 phase motors can be re-connected to operate from 230v/240v but then other considerations in machine wiring to be done. So I think you would need something that outputs 415v 3 phase. Would this be correct?
I have built many converters using this higher voltage method. I think a Rotary has many advantages but a higher voltage method most certainly has some advantages over a rotary.
I am very sure that Unique 3phase would never have said or written that this method was not suitable for Lathes & Mills.I can tell you that the higher voltage method requires the load to be more constant.
So something like an air compressor, you size the single run capacitor for the area of load (between Cut In and Cut Out). One of the best advantages of this type of converter is it's ability to start under load,which is opposite when using a rotary.
Now if using a lathe, quite often people say there rotary won't start the motor in High Range. With the higher voltage method you could just simply have a switch to switch in another run capacitor, you could even put a current sensing relay to do the same job automatically.
As for running more than one 3phase motor from a single transformer, a lot of people get this wrong. I think this is because there was a paper written and sold for a long time and I think they would still be selling them now and it says this method the autotransformer will only run one motor. This paper never stated who wrote it (maybe Donald Duck) but it is wrong.
and of course the total amount of motor load can not exceed the transformer output.
I would like to hear from anybody that has built this method and where it didn't work. But I will re-say the rotary has many more advantages.
In your case my thoughts are, you need 3 phase 415v so you will need a transformer single phase 240v to 415v can be simply done using an old electric welder with the sliding choke.
A big advantage of doing things like this is you plug and play the machine.

Jim
110/220.

It's on the 3rd line from the top. This is on page 14. Maybe there's exceptions I haven't got to yet in the book.
37fa1b625596ae0efffac76819b7a9a3.jpg

Hi CBudz I would like to make a correction to the above about the lathes and mills.My brain was only thinking of running the spindles at the time of writing. A rotary converter for machines with more than one motor would be a better choice, although installing a single phase suds pump is not a big job.
Anyway am I correct in thinking that your country and your machines are 415v 3phase.
Our 3phase line voltage is 415v in Australia.
Jim.

Back