What's new
What's new

Arboga G2508 Drillpress, Run with VFD?

pippispappa

Plastic
Hello!

I just bought a G2508 two-speed arboga drillpress. i have a VFD ABB ACS50-01E-02A2-2 ABB -; ACS50-01E-02A2-2

Is it possible to wire this to my Arboga in a way that doesnt alter the power to much through my VFD?. I read about only using the second speed of the engine?

I am not good at electrics..

/Johan Sweden.

Looking at the lathes.co.uk page on the Arboga, the motor is 400v only (it's a Dahlander-wound 2-speed) and that ABB drive is 230v so you'll lose most of the motor power and torque.

230 to 400v inverters are getting less expensive, or a 400v input VFD *can* be modified to fool it into thinking it has 400v in - I do this for my lathe (also has a 400v-only Dahlander motor, 3-speed, would be more money to have it rewound than the lathe cost me) but it can shorten the life of the VFD capacitors and the VFD needs to be a size or three bigger than the motor rating.

If you use the low-speed winding you get more torque, increasing the VFD Hz will give you the full speed when you want it (I've never had a drill run out of RPM, had many run out of torque!)

Dave H. (the other one)

I dug a bit further into lathes.co.uk, the motor in the Arboga is 1 HP (750 watt) at 400v, that VFD is max 1/2 HP, so wouldn't be big enough anyway - if you hack a 400v or buy a 230-400v be sure it's rated for more than an HP (1 kw would be a good starting point)

Dave H. (the other one)

Thanks!
So what branch would you choose to get it running ?
230v to 400v inverter, is this equipment capable of running it with same power/torque delivery as 3-phase?

Back