What's new
What's new

Assistance Setting up Teco L510

superman22x

Plastic
Looking for some tips on my VFD. I am setting up my Teco L510 to use with my new to me Wells Index 856 mill. Currently, everything is wired up, and works normally using the 3 position switch that is originally installed on the Wells Index Machine. And I wired in an external pot for speed control. I have two questions though:

1) If I set the max freq above 60, I get an error. I have read some people recommend setting the max to about 75 for older motors, to run them a little faster, giving more speed range at one belt speed. Is there a way to do this with the Teco VFDs?

2) I'm trying to do a little power tapping with my mill. I have a Jog Fwd/Rev switch wired in. I'm wondering if toggling this is the way to go for tapping, or if there is a better configuration to wire in?

Thanks!

EDIT: Added a picture of said mill. I haven't seen this model before getting it myself. It's had many years of use at a University, but it works great for me.

EDIT 2: One more question... this mill has a power feed that runs off a 0.25hp motor. I hooked this up to a static phase converter, so I'm down to 0.17hp. The problem is, this motor gets very hot when it runs for a relatively short time. I'm not sure if this is due to it being low on power now, or just beyond it's usable life. Has anyone fit a modern servo style feed on these Wells Index machines, and how difficult is it to fit up?

Attachments

• 0630181729.jpg
    0630181729.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 167
Answered my first question. Parameter 00-12 frequency upper limit was set to 60. Changing this to 75 did the trick.

And answered part of my third question. I removed the belt and ran the motor with no load for a few minutes. It still heats up the same. I took the motor apart, and both bearings spin freely, so I'm not sure what is causing it to heat up.

You do not want to push older motors to hard when using a VFD, usually want to keep the maximum Hz to around 75 and the carrier frequency probably 6 or lower.

Jog with a spring toggle will work but won't allow you to adjust the speed via the VFD. On a recent mill system that I built the owner requested two momentary buttons that would allow momentary forward and reverse run commands, you set the desired tapping speed with the VFD speed pot. On my mill I also just use the speed pot for tapping, only difference is that I use sensors for auto-start, auto-reverse and a back gear sensor so the drive direction is always the same. I use momentary start/stop buttons for the run controls.

On the drive motor you can get inexpensive VFDs (like KB electronics) to run 3 phase peripherals, but I did try them for mill drives and they are limited as to their braking and low speed control. There was some information on alternate drive system and installation using the Servo drives for other Wells mills. Would assume other less expensive drives could be adapted.
http://www.servoproductsco.com/specs/0901_80065.pdf
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/x-axis-power-feed-wells-index-745-a-269327/

With the momentary switch, do you just hold the button down to tap, and the spindle stops when you release?

Back