What's new
What's new

Ato gk3000 wire up help please

Biznawich

Plastic
Hi.

I am attempting to understand the wire up of an ATO GK3000 VFD to my new Dayton 1hp 1ph gen purpose motor I wish to use as an upgrade to my wood lathe.

The VFD is an ATO GK3000=> 240v AC 50-60Hz SINGLE PHASE INPUT and 240v AC SINGLE PHASE OUTPUT...not 3 phase output like a usual setup.

I simply wish to control speed, fwd/rev and start/stop on my lathe. FYI...I already had a new 1hp 1ph cap start motor to use for this; purchased for another project no longer in the works. I mention this only because I know going 3 phase would be simpler (if not less expensive motor wise).

My Dayton motor has 7 wires in the terminal box...red,white,yellow,brown,black,orange and blue. I've already hooked 240v power to it to check operation (both in CCW & CW) and everything is good.

My problem is two-fold:

First I have the usual neutral(white), black(common) and green ground wires from my wall plug. The VFD manual indicates attaching the U V & W wires up and then the ground wire...what 3rd wire is being referred to here that is not the ground? I don't have 3 phase in my shop.

Secondly: I don't have the square "lug block" attachment plate thing on my particular motor. I simply have 7 wires (as previously stated) bunched up in the terminal box on the side of the motor. Is there an easy way to tell which wire goes to what terminal on the VFD? All video's I find show the the VFD being wired up to a motor via the aforementioned lug block.

I know that U V W are European designations but ATO's manual doesn't make any distinctions.

Thank you very much for any/all help.

Bruce Jennings (BIZNAWICH)

The manual for that thing is pretty lousy.

[EDIT: It's actually no worse than most of the manuals I have seen for VFDs; they are all pretty bad]

I'm assuming that the 7 wires in the box on the motor are connected to each other in some way, and that you can identify 2 spots to hook up 240VAC from the wall-since you said you had had the motor running with direct hookup.

If that's true, I'd leave the wires in the motor box hooked up as they are, and connect either U,V or V,W from the VFD to those 2 spots where you tested with 240VAC from the wall.

This would correspond to either figure 4.13 or 4.14 in section 4.3.3 of the manual. Then you'd also have to set parameter 9.13

Thanks awander. I do have 2 combined wire groups which came from the factory that way and I was aware when I hooked the motor up to check it.

I understand 70 percent of electrical procedures and symbols (not electronics so much) but...and I didn't want to say it out loud as it were; the manual really is confusing. The folks that write it should take the "English as a 2nd language" course again.

I will try your suggestion, thanks.

Bruce Jennings (Biznawich)

I assume you have found the manual.

Power in goes to L1+L2 or R+S. T is not used and probably doesn't have a terminal.

Info on wiring the motor is on pages 9-10 + 12 Essentially, disconnect the capacitors, starting switches etc. Wire motor windings directly to UVW, with the common point at V, main winding on U, start winding on W.

If you give us wiring diagrams and resistance measurements for the motor, we might be able to hook it up. Essentially, using a single-phase VFD requires disconnecting all of the starting equipment in the motor so it's more invasive than a three phase. You probably will even need to open the housing and bridge out the centrifugal switch.

Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I have uploaded an image of my motors wiring diagram
Thanks,
BruceJ (biznawich)DAYTON 1 PHASE 1HP.jpgNew Picture.jpg
I hope this one is better.

Biz

Last edited:
Someone Somewhere. Thank you for the reply.

I've uploaded a better illustration I hope it helps.

Also, I deciphered the manual to the point where all is running and speed can be changed as required. However REVERSE is not functioning. My parameters settings seem correct but no REVERSE. The motor (as stated in my uploaded schematics) indicates it is reversible.

Since this is a 1ph input/1ph/3ph output VFD I've only needed 2 wires to attain speed control..."U" terminal & "V" terminal, not the "W". Can you tell me if a 3rd wire is required to attain reverse. The manual is confusing (transliterated Chinese) and customer support is questionable or rather lacking in knowledge.

I bought a VFD because I required both speed and direction control...there is a REVERSE button on the control panel and REVERSING parameters in the manual that seemingly do not work. I have operated machinery in the past (lathes and milling machines) that has RPM and rotation direction controlled by a VFD.

Thank you for all/any assistance.

BiznawichNew Picture.jpg

Last edited:
You definitely need three wires to reverse; it's impossible to reverse an induction motor with only two wires.

I still can't read that; can you upload it to imgur or somewhere?

Single-phase VFDs are pretty uncommon and have had very little development work put into them; expect them to be unpolished and not to do exactly what you want.

OK, found the PDF (p11).

You need to get rid of the cap and the start switch.

I'm not 100% sure if that's going to be workable on a VFD as the start winding is 120V vs the main winding being 240V. It'll depend on if the VFD manages to auto-learn it - I would be very cautious about checking winding temps and currents.

I would try:

• Blue from protection terminal 1 to V.
  • Purple from protection terminal 3 to M1 (this should already be done)
  • Connect white, orange, and red together.
  • Yellow to U.
  • Black to W.

If it has trouble starting or puts too much current down the start winding, you may need to connect the red to purple instead.

Back