What's new
What's new

Automation direct gs2 vfd ou fault with Bridgeport

Hackshopridge

Plastic
I recently acquired Bridgeport series 1 mill and picked up a Automation direct gs2-22P0 VFD to power the machine. I wired it up and ran a dedicated 220v 20 amp circuit for it. Upon pressing the run button I get a ou fault code. I will post pictures of the wiring and motor nameplate below. Fault description per the manual states that the AC drive detects that hte DC bus voltage has exceeded its maximum allowable value.

- Now with that being said I check the power coming in across L1 & L2 and was getting a consistent 240v with a multimeter and also increased the decel time in the parameters setting from the default 5.00.

- Double checked the motor for correct low voltage wiring configuration

- The motor sounds like its trying to kick over after pressing the run button but immediately faults out to the ou code.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

64601382722__A719A843-B3EA-41B7-8036-0F9E7A9F249E (1).jpgIMG_5228.jpgIMG_5227.jpgIMG_5226.jpg

Last photo appears to have been taken with a potato. Confirm you have three phases plus earth from the drive output to the motor? Do you get equal resistances between phases?

Decel will not apply if it faults when you press run.... that is an issue when doing a controlled stop.

I do not know if the unit checks voltage when at standby, or only when running....

Try disconnecting the motor entirely, and starting the unit. If it still does that, and the input voltage is OK, then it is probably defective.

There does not seem to be a parameter for setting maximum bus voltage, so that cannot be mis-set.

The above assumes that the input voltage is correct.

It would seem that your default setting are incorrect, the default voltage cannot be 400V on a 240V input model, and the default acceleration/deceleration are usually 10 seconds. I would do a factory reset of all the parameters, and then program the motor parameters. The GS2 is replaced with the GS20/21, I recently installed that model for another person on a 2 Hp lathe and it worked well, although construction seems a bit meager. The GS2 software is easy to use to make programming changes.

Last photo appears to have been taken with a potato. Confirm you have three phases plus earth from the drive output to the motor? Do you get equal resistances between phases?

Decel will not apply if it faults when you press run.... that is an issue when doing a controlled stop.

I do not know if the unit checks voltage when at standby, or only when running....

Try disconnecting the motor entirely, and starting the unit. If it still does that, and the input voltage is OK, then it is probably defective.

There does not seem to be a parameter for setting maximum bus voltage, so that cannot be mis-set.

The above assumes that the input voltage is correct.

It would seem that your default setting are incorrect, the default voltage cannot be 400V on a 240V input model, and the default acceleration/deceleration are usually 10 seconds. I would do a factory reset of all the parameters, and then program the motor parameters. The GS2 is replaced with the GS20/21, I recently installed that model for another person on a 2 Hp lathe and it worked well, although construction seems a bit meager. The GS2 software is easy to use to make programming changes.

SO fellas I realized I posted pictures of the during the wiring process in the first post that I took consulting a friend about the rather small terminals. So below I mocked up the actual completed wiring. I did some more digging into this and exhausted almost all the different variations of parameter settings. I have the mill running!!!!!!!!!! but after leaving the mill running for a few minutes at roughly 17.3 Hz it Cuts out and faults out to lu fault code!!!!!!!!! so I am stuck once again.

wiring.png
[/url][/IMG]

So, "Lu" is low bus voltage, which would normally be caused by a low input voltage.

The drive seems to be rated for single phase source, at 230V, and that is what you are using, correct?

It appears that your input voltage may be low. If so, (check with meter at VFD), then check if wiring is adequate for the current. The wires heat up over time, and heat raises resistance. If it was marginal, then it may be under now.

Back