What's new
What's new

Baldor Single Phase Motor Wiring

electron2002

Plastic
I recently picked up an older 1.5HP Baldor motor that I am going to be using on my smaller air compressor.

It's currently wired for 120v, but I need to switch it to 220v operation. This motor uses a screw post terminal block instead of the typical spade terminal type that they use on the modern version of the same motor. I have contacted Baldor, but they don't even list this mode and spec number motor in their archive. The guy I spoke with was going to do some research and get back to me, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

The terminal block hop and bottom posts are both marked L and the terminals in between are marked 2, 3 & 4

If anyone here is familiar with this setup or has a wiring schematic to work from, it would be appreciated.

Thanks
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The inner two post ( each one has a blue ring terminal connected to them ) you have to move the two brass strips so then connect between the two inner post

you have to move the two brass strips so then connect between the two inner post

Sorry, this statement seems confusing to me. Can you describe where the brass strips should go based on the terminal numbers?

Also, would there not be any need to reposition either of the "blue" ring terminals?

There is a brass strip between post 2 and 3, and another brass strip between post 4 and L. Reposition the brass strips so they will be between post 2 and 4

There is a brass strip between post 2 and 3, and another brass strip between post 4 and L. Reposition the brass strips so they will be between post 2 and 4

Macplus,
So you are saying for 220v the wires stay as they are and only one brass strip is needed from 2 to 4 perhaps putting both strips there to reserve the extra strip if needed to go back to 120?

Yes, put both strips between 2 to 4, so if you ever needed to go back to 120v, you will still have both strips available then to do it.

That is a good question, without seeing the internal stator wiring ( wires that are under the terminal board ). One problem with the picture shown, it shows one wire that has a #3 sticker on it. This indicates to me, that this motor has been repaired before, as it should of had a brass tag on the wire from the manufacturer or the number printed on the wire.

The more I look at the picture, the brass strips go between 4 and 3. On a single phase motor, a red lead should indicate a starting wire. My guess is that the 2 wires that have the blue ring crimp terminal would be your starting winding, so interchanging those 2 wires would reverse rotation.

Sorry it took me a while to reply back. After also consulting a Baldor servicing motor shop, I confirmed that Macplus is correct in post #10. Terminal 4 and 3 need to be bridged for 220v and also the red wire is the starting wire, as it goes directly to the centrifugal. Also, reversing the brown and red wire reverses rotation.

I drafted up a wiring diagram that I printed to a sticker to place on the wiring cover for future reference.

Here is that diagram for anyone that can use it. Direction on the label is based on the shaft facing you.

RL1313A.jpg

Back