What's new
What's new

Bandsaw 220 Single Phase to 400v 3 Phase with VFD?

Benwelder

Plastic
Hey Electrical Guru's

I'm looking at purchasing a MEP Shark horizontal bandsaw that the seller says runs on 440v 3 phase. As I only have 220 single in my shop, I started down the path of going to 3 phase, and got lost somewhere down the rabbit hole among rotary phase converters, step up transformers, static phase converters, VFD's etc! I did a bunch of searching around here and seems like there are several answers and just trying to figure out the best for this situation.

According to the manual the saw runs on 400v 3 phase (MEP looks like a European manufacturer?) and pulls either 5.6 amps or 4 amps for a 2/4 pole motor.

Suggestions on how to run this from 220v single phase power? I've seen some VFD's that say 220v to 380v. Will these work? Am I better off stepping up with a transformer to 400v and then using a VFD?

Here's an example of a 220v to 380v VFD I saw recommended. (Yes, I know China electronics...)
5.5KW VSD 220v to 380v Spindle Inverters VFD AC drive frequency converter Factory Direct Sales|frequency converter|220v to 380vac drive - AliExpress

This is my first time delving into 3 phase machines and wiring other than at work (where we have 3 phase...)

Thanks,
-Ben

Can you get a picture out of the seller of the motor nameplate? I'm assuming the saw is basically just a motor and starter.

You might be able to rewire the motor from 400V star to 230V delta if it's a standard EU motor - a motor set up for 400V 50Hz star will also work happily enough on 480V 60Hz, which I expect is what they've done.

Ok, looks like it's 480 3 phase only? See attached photo. But 60 hz?

Does this make sense?

IMG_0104.jpg

it's italian, 5hp at 480 wired for high speed, 6hp at LOW speed.

You could run a VFD on it... just wire it for low speed, and program the drive to overspeed (go to 120hz), it'll probably run fine that way, but you'd need a pretty big VFD and a transformer to go from say... 240 single to 480 3ph. Not a big deal to me (I do it all the time) but probably not something you'd feel comfortable diving into.

What's possibility you could just swap the motor to a 5hp 240v single phase?

Thanks Dave. I'd be interested in seeing your set-up and hearing how that works. I'm up for whatever is possible.

I could see about getting 5hp 240v motor also. Just have to figure out how to match up if the shaft size is weird etc.

Also, the manual says the coolant pump is 220v single phase. Does this mean there is a small transformer/phase converter already in it? Or are they just running two legs of power?

I'm assuming one of these 220v single phase to 380v 3 phase VFD's wouldn't work due to the lower voltage? Or would you just loose speed that you could make up with the VFD?

Back