What's new
What's new

Best phase converter for a gelato machine

Ale

Plastic
Hi guys,

I’m gonna need a phase converter for a gelato machine with following specs:

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 18.05.33.jpg

I did a little research since I know nothing about this and, from what I read, in my case a rotary phase converter would work better than the digital one since the gelato machine would have several load changes, am I right?

Do you also have any suggestion regarding the brand/model?

Thanks!
Ale

With several motors you are right a rotary converter would be the easiest to setup. A 7.5 HP one would cover it I would think.

I installed an American Rotary about 4 years ago and it had done an excellent job for my equipment. I had thought about a DIY converter, but when I looked at my cost-of-time, it made more sense to purchase a complete unit.

With several motors you are right a rotary converter would be the easiest to setup. A 7.5 HP one would cover it I would think.
Can I ask you why only 7.5 HP if the machine's max power is 14.4 HP? Isn't that quite undersized?

Most will say to build one yourself
And then I will answer them "haha nice joke" :D
A DIY job is not an option, I wouldn't even know where to start and since it's for commercial purpose I want everything to be safe.

I installed an American Rotary about 4 years ago and it had done an excellent job for my equipment.
Thanks for you info Bob ;)

I also found these other companies:
- North America PC
- Phoenix PC

Does anybody know them?

Can I ask you why you suggest a 7.5 HP PC when the max power of the machine is 14.4 HP?

but American Rotary brand seems popular
Do you also know Phoenix? Phase Converters, Electric Motors & More - Phoenix Phase Converters

I installed an American Rotary about 4 years ago and it had done an excellent job for my equipment. I had thought about a DIY converter, but when I looked at my cost-of-time, it made more sense to purchase a complete unit.
How's the noise?

I am confused, It looks like the machine has 3 motors: stirrer-0.28hp, drive 6.4-3.5hp, and compressor 3.9hp. Max power is shown as 14.4hp -must be if trying to start all motors at same time. Maybe some time delay so when machine is first turned on the motors start one after another instead of all at once. Then a 7 1/2 or 10 hp RPC should work. RPC's will run more motor HP than it will start. Look for two ratings- maximum hp of single motor and also total motor hp, total will always be bigger.

So I contacted American Rotary and they suggested me this one, 30 HP model since I'd like to place it outside. Now the problem is the size of this thing because it's quite big, I'm not sure I have enough space.

I was eventually thinking about getting this one, again 30 HP, and building around it like a little case, do you think it could work? The problem for me is the noise...

Otherwise I should evaluate the option of getting a digital PC like model PT-355 but as I said in the first message I'm not sure this is the best solution for the gelato machine, do you think I may have some problems because of the load changes in this case? Any real risk to ruin it?

Guys I don't understand why I send the messages but they don't show up... I sent one yesterday and I don't see it...

EDIT: this one went through, anyway I was asking if you think I may work anyway with a digital phase converter (noise plays a huge role in my case) or since the gelato machine has 2 motors and a lot of load changes I absolutely need to get a rotary model otherwise I'd have problems with the digital one. Thanks.

RPC is pretty quiet, the 10hp one I have is very quiet, the 15hp I replaced it with makes a bit of bearing noise but it is an old motor I am using for idler, not a new rpc "motor". Most of my noise is from the worn bearings in the old motor, a little noise from the cooling fan. I think the rpc motor on the 10hp may have a smaller (quieter) fan and both ends are closed. (no fan?) I will have to look at it again. The only noise you will barely hear from RPC is bearings spinning in the motor and the fan cooling it. The gelato machine will make way more noise, and the RPC can be located in a back room, just run longer wires to it.

It is possible to use transformer(s) to get three phase power, that should be very quiet, just a hum from the transformer. I dont know if you could buy one off the shelf if you need UL listed parts in your shop.

It is possible to use transformer(s) to get three phase power, that should be very quiet, just a hum from the transformer. I dont know if you could buy one off the shelf if you need UL listed parts in your shop.
Would it be less or more expensive than a PC?

It must be UL listed though.

Since the transformers are ul listed you may be able to slide through on that. I have no idea how to connect them, you will have to do some research and probably start a new thread asking about it.
Probably easier to get RPC and put it in a back room. If you can use 10 hp I would sell mine since I upgraded to a 15hp, $600. It may be to small for you though.

Guys, the landlord is willing to pay half of the cost of the phase converter, right now I never really took in consideration the digital PC because of the cost, but this changes everything.

Now I'd like to know if the rotary version is 100% the best choice in my case or if the digital could be fine as well, always remember that this machine has several load changes and two motors.

I asked to the Phase Technologies and they told me that "the digital phase converters work just fine with multiple loads" but anyway he's the seller, so I'd to get some other opinion from you experience guys.

Why are you concerned about a digital converter with varying loads?
They are highly recommended for machine tools!

As an example:
I have a phase perfect 355 running a 15/20hp lathe. (Mocrocut lt-65)
It has 6 electric motors.
#1 15hp constant, 20hp peak load main motor.
#2 x axis servo
#3 z axis servo
#4 coolant pump
#5 conveyor gearmotor
#6 hydrolic system motor

Put on a 80amp 240v single phase breaker, fed of my residential house main panel.
House panel to phase perfect to 240v 3p transformer step up 400v3p to lathe.
No issues or hiccups the last 6 months of hard running. Motor loads are all over the place spinning up chucks and entering in and out of cuts.

Very very happy with the phase perfect. I run it right up to its rated limit all of the time. It also has a capacitor bank allowing it to have intermittent loads much higher than its rating. Allowing it to start the motors.
If it's rated 20hp, it will start a 20hp under load.
Email them. They where very good about addressing my concerns before purchase. You may get away with the smallest unit they make for just this one machine. But bigger is always better, buy once and have extra capacity!

Not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer

Back