What's new
What's new

Biesse Protec Excell 18000 RPM 8.5 KW Electro Spindle Questions and VFD Selection

William_Turner

Plastic
I debated putting this in the woodworking forum but since this question has to do specifically with a motor and VFD, I put it here.

Biesse Protec Excell 18000 RPM Electro Spindle. Power at 18000 RPM is 11.5 HP or 8.5 KW. That's all I know about it. Does anyone have any information on this spindle? I bought one and now I'm figuring out what to do for a vfd drive for it. Does anyone have a power vs. RPM chart for this spindle? Who makes spindles for the Biesse company? I'm guessing they don't make their own spindles? My guess is that it is similar to this one from HSD

http://www.hsdusa.com/bo/allegati/Files/649_1423h0374_rev01__es929a_7.5-9_kw.pdf

and that it is a 4 pole AC induction motor.

The one I purchased was previously driven from a Yaskawa CIMR-G5C4011 Varispeed 616G5 11kw Inverter VFD Motor Drive. As far as I can tell, the 616G5 series is limited to 400 Hz output (please correct me if I'm wrong). If it is a 4 pole motor, this would put it's maximum speed using that drive at 12000 RPM. This has me wondering if it is a 2 pole motor or if it's previous owner only ran it up to 12000 RPM instead of it's maximum 18000. If it is a two pole motor, then the drive would be capable of turning it up to 24000 RPM.

Any info on this spindle would be appreciated. Who manufactured it for Biesse? How many poles does it have? Any idea where I can find a power output vs RPM graph?

I did a little research today and I realized that HSD (whom I am assuming is the manufacturer of this spindle) made several 2 pole motors that could be connected in delta. I'm hoping it is the case for the spindle I just bought, but if it isn't it's not the end of the world. Still, I will need to sort this out prior to purchasing a VFD as it will change the output I need from the VFD from 380V to 220V.

The spindle hasn't arrived at my door yet, perhaps if I post some pics in the future that will help you to help me with this problem. I am admittedly a total newb when it comes to choosing a VFD and sorting out Delta vs Star vs number of poles, etc.

So while we're waiting for pictures, anyone who has a Biesse router or who knows something about them, please feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
The Yaskawa drive that was being used to drive that motor has custom software to operate above the standard max frequency for that drive.

I'm not sure of the configuration settings for the motor you mention above, but the spindle drive on a Biesse Rover 30S2 that I am currently working on has the motor base frequency set at 400 Hz, the max frequency set at 800 Hz and the motor has 4 poles.

Yaskawa's standard drive configuration only allows for 400 hz, but if you're willing to pay you can purchase them with a software upgrade that extends the max frequency to 1000 hz.
Both for 220,230,380,400 and 460 V.

ABB can do the same on some drives the acs 6000 fx, but that will cost you a lot of money.

Ac tech also deliver some high freq drives. Not familiar with them though.

ABB and Yaskawa makes high quality drives. And personally i've been impressed by the ABB drives due to they're resistance to harsh conditions, they do very well against vibrations and most are approved for marine use.
But the user friendlyness of running them off different Bus systems (profibus,modbus,etc) is quite terrible.

So there are offerings out there available that are capable of doing the job.
When running equipment like this, be sure to get your drive settings perfected before you start running the thing.

Back