What's new
What's new

Boyar Schultz 612 to VFD

MGKELLY

Plastic
Hello, can i connect the VFD and use the ON/OFF switch on the Boyar Schultz or do i need to have the VFD connected directly to the motor and use the VFD to turn it on and off? the motor is a 3/4 HP, 220/440, hz=60 and have a Allen Bradley 1305 AC Drive w/Programmer 1HP.

thanks, Joe

Joe,

My 612 has a maintained rotary switch for the on/off control. You would wire the VFD motor leads directly to the motor and switch the logic buss wires for ON/OFF control using the factory Boyar Shultz switch..provided it's a maintained, ON/OFF switch. Read the AB manual..it should be real simple to wire up.

Stuart

Joe,

My 612 has a maintained rotary switch for the on/off control. You would wire the VFD motor leads directly to the motor and switch the logic buss wires for ON/OFF control using the factory Boyar Shultz switch..provided it's a maintained, ON/OFF switch. Read the AB manual..it should be real simple to wire up.

Stuart

Hi Stuart, I created a diagram of how the motor and switch are currently connected. The magnet chuck, light, and dust collector motor are on different 110 lines.
I'm still confused, do i need cut the wire between the switch and the motor and wire each to the VFD?

BS-wire2.jpg

Joe,

Your 3 phase electric motor needs 3 motor leads. You need to run 3 adequate motor leads directly from the VFD to the motor. The VFD should have a bar in it with little screws for connecting small wires..this is the logic buss bar. You will run 2 or 3 small wires from that buss to your drum switch that turns the grinder on and off. So..3 wires from VFD directly to the motor and 2 (or 3) small wires directly from the VFD to the drum switch.

Hopefully you have the setup instructions for the VFD as there are things that need to be programmed to make the system complete.:)

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, Ok on the buss bar should i use one of the ports in the diagram, start and stop are the obvious ones but probable not correct?
Also can i power the VFD off via the breaker when not is use or should i leave it one permanently?

buss1.jpg

Joe,

Do you have the manual that came with the drive?

Yes..if you have a 3 pole breaker that is rated for the drive (and wire size too) you can use that for the VFD circuit. I always leave all my drives powered all the time.

On the START/STOP connections, the wiring diagram indicates to me that the drive will take a momentary input for START/STOP but I'm not sure. Again, not being sure but it looks like you need to enable the drive by connecting #11 to common, which is #12. Then, a momentary connection between #6 and #7 will start the drive as long as #8 is connected to #7 which is common. These functions are easy to prove by merely touching wires between buss locations.

Many drives require a maintained signal for the drive to run but your schematic indicates that momentary switch closures will do the trick. Some drives allow that from the factory and it's a nice feature. If this is true it means your maintained drum switch probably will need to be swapped for a momentary START/STOP station.

I wouldn't take my word for any of this until I read the install manual..that will confirm exactly how it's to be controlled.:)

Stuart

Joe,

The manual is online and I just perused it. You are good to go with your stock Boyar-Shultz drum switch as the drive will allow maintained contact command to start and stop. With #8 jumpered to #7, a switch closure through your drum switch between #8 to #6 should start the grinder running forward. I think #11 and #12 have to be jumpered together to enable the drive.

Stuart

Joe,

The manual is online and I just perused it. You are good to go with your stock Boyar-Shultz drum switch as the drive will allow maintained contact command to start and stop. With #8 jumpered to #7, a switch closure through your drum switch between #8 to #6 should start the grinder running forward. I think #11 and #12 have to be jumpered together to enable the drive.

Stuart

Stuart thanks so much for your help!!

I'm using a 2 pole breaker wired for 220 from panel to the VFD, use the same breaker for my 2J head and just bought another for the Boyar-Schultz.
The manual i'm using is in the screenshot enclosed.

I'm going to wire the motor to the VFD this weekend, once that's working try to get the Start/Stop working via the buss.

breaker1.jpg

manual.jpg

Joe,

That sounds good. My error..I though you had 3 phase input, but obviously only single phase, hence the two pole breaker.

Stuart

Joe,

Stuart

Stuart, i will test this once the motor is hooked up, but a quick question. The 3 wires for the drum switch would connect to the logical bus on port #6, #8, and #11 with #8 jumpered to #7 and #11 jumpered to #12. Is this correct or am i way off?

thanks, Joe

FWIW, I considered using the switch on the machine, but decided handy switches and speed control would be better. It doesn't yet have a cover or a window to see the RPM, but here's the box I put on my 612. I find speed control is extremely useful. My particular VFD is also supposed to have the mains switched on and off with the spindle off, not on, thus the two switches.

BS_Grinder.jpg

Joe,

I see the wire connections a bit differently but I'm pretty slow on the uptake. Page 33 of the manual shows a jumper between 7 & 8 and a jumper between 11 & 12 while your drum switch closes 6 & 7 to start the drive FWD. That's how I read it.

Stuart

Back