What's new
What's new

Bringing service into a shop

Wade C

Stainless
Im still learning, and have been reading and trying to absorb as much as I can... but wanted some additional input from those who have been through it and/or know much more about this stuff than I do.

The scenario: (caution fairly long prelude to the questions at hand)
We are going to likely be signing on a place here next week. Decent place, nice location, girl friend is happy with the house, location, and property... Down side, there isnt a nice shop... so that will be an upcoming project. Currently, there are 3ph poles on the property, and from what I have learned, it wont be that bad cost wise to get 3ph brought in to the shop once we get that far.

There is a "garage" on the property, that by my measurements, will be able to house the Okuma LC10 and Fadal 4020, as well as the couple 3ph manual machines I have.... and leave some working space... though I really hope putting up a shop is a sooner rather than later thing - but its really hard to say.

The place we will put the shop is all but 20-50 feet from the 3ph poles on the property. Depending on "codes" and "rules" we could put the shop as close to the pole as allowed by the easements/utilities. The "garage" is about 150-200 feet north of where the shop would go, and is about 150 feet from the 3ph lines, but the single phase pole is right next to the garage.

I basically have three options, and the bank will be the deciding factor on one of those three.
(keep in mind, Im a small time guy, making my own products and should be able to keep up with demand which ever way I go - just one option equates to a lot more driving and time away from home)
1 - leave the machines where they are now until we are able to put up a shop. ( They are in a friends shop now) which will be two and a half hours away from the house, and just arrange things so that I can go out to the machines, work a few days, and come back home. (he doesnt charge me rent, but I do some stuff for him -work/manual labor- to balance out having the machines there and the little bit of electricity I use)

2 - wiggle the machines into the "garage" so that everything is in one place - and have 3ph brought into that for the short term, until a shop is built, and then move the equip and service once the shop is done... could be up to a year Id guess - depending.

3 - go hell bent on getting the shop done, (basically anything we can do to get the shop done this summer - borrowing from friends and family to get it done if the bank wont do it) so that there is no secondary move of the machines, or relocating of the service in etc...

So now I am formulating my plan on what to do based on the most cost effective approach... as well as get a feel for things that are "okay" to do, and things that are "bad juju"

My initial thought is to poke the machines in the current "garage" so that I have everything in one location. But that begs the question, how to handle bringing in power. If I went with a phase converter (like a phase perfect) for the short term, I still have to contend with upgrading the single phase service, as its only 100 amp service to the entire property (which will cost) and then selling - or getting my self to sell - the phase perfect later in addition to the cost of getting it in the first place. Or getting 3 phase to the garage, knowing that it will be short term... and have to be moved, along with the machines when a shop does happen. I had one thought, but I dont know if its a kosher "idea". And that is to have 3ph installed on the pole where the shop will eventually be, brought down to a meter, and a disconnect box. Then get an "extension cord" of sorts... a temporary heavy line that goes from the disconnect box to the garage on the ground (down side here is how large the cable will have to be, and would be likely major overkill to use for in-shop wiring). And basically unroll it, and roll it up each day that I need to use either of the CNCs (definitely manageable as I dont use these machines every day - yet). I guess in some ways I think of this like what you guys might call a Buss line? My thought is, when the new shop goes up, I could then use that line inside the shop for getting power from the panel to the various machines and such. (trying to basically buy something to use for the "extension cord" that could later be used on the wiring install). But I could also see that being a huge no-no... repetitive use of the terminals in the box to connect/disconnect the cable over time, in addition to wear on the cable from being laid/rolled up somewhat regularly.

Another idea was to have the service installed where the shop will be, and then have poles and above ground lines to get it to the garage for now, and later have that taken down and piped into the shop. But I dont know that "above ground" entry of service is okay. I could see it going either way... code requiring coming in under ground, or being fine coming in the side of the building up near the roof.

Could always have them extend the 3ph to the pole by the garage, and install there, but then when the new shop goes up, it would mean moving the cans and meter, or fighting the same issue of getting it from there to the new shop. This seems it would be the most expensive because the utility company charges for everything they do. (unlike where I am now, where they give you a 2600.00 credit on a new service install. After the 2600, you pay. Up to 2600 they cover)

The final idea I had, but seemingly second to most expensive, (but may not be) is to have the service installed on the pole where the shop will be, have a "junction box" of sorts where the power would come up for the new shop, and then trench it from there to the garage (which will have to either cross, or go the long way around the water lines/well/septic to the house). Leaving a permanent install to the garage. Then when the shop gets built, either tie into that service (knowing that 3ph wouldnt get used in the garage once the shop is up, but at least have the power there, should it ever be needed) and "share it" with the new shop, or just disconnect the garage and connect the shop. Part of me thought it might be handy having 3ph in both places once the new shop is up... but Id imagine there are code rules that would be broken with that idea.

The whole situation is less than ideal in a lot of ways... but on the plus side... 3ph will be cheaper than a PP unit (at least getting it down the pole to a meter), and, Mama is happy... and we all know if Mama aint happy, aint nobody happy. :D

Any opinions on what I might think about doing are greatly appreciated... And Im sure there are flaws in all of my ideas... so Im hoping the process of getting opinions, Ill also learn a lot. Im guessing the best thing to do is going to be the hardest thing to afford... build the shop, install the service, move the machines, and be done... the catch is getting the money, as a bank will surely be very hesitant with the recent house purchase and debt/income ratio, and I dont know that I have enough friends/family with deep enough pockets to help. I have some stuff going on on my side of things that makes the financing hard if not impossible with me involved, so despite having the ability to service the debt, the banks wont take that into account until its had a year of track record... So, like everyone, Im trying to do the most with the least, and dont have the financial backing I should to do anything.

And if I leave stuff where it is and wait, I think Ill "stunt my growth" because Ill have so much driving (time and fuel cost) to get to the machines, that Ill have to slow the pace down so I can effectively use my time. Having all the machines right there, so I can do what ever, when ever is the end goal, but I realize, I may have to be patient, and wait a bit to attain that goal.

Sorry for the novel, but felt it was all pertinent info to the questions at hand.
Thanks
Wade

That is the $10,000 dollar question...

I'd see if they would let you set a service near where you want to build your shop. Every utility is diffrent, you may have to get a bit creative to get what you need for a reasonable price.

Maybe a 200A 240/120 Delta service?
They will probably make you install a EUSERC approved panel with bypass links. Fair warning, every utility is diffrent and operated under tariffs that may or may not make a new service affordable. I'd expect to spend $3-10K just to get service on your property, and a 100 amp feed to your existing garage from the panel that will be located near your future shop.

Call up your utility and get a firm estimate on it.

Ive talked to them a little... and got a rough quote of around 2700-3000 to get a 50kva down the pole to a meter (50kva and below doesnt get a demand meter, anything over does - so aiming at the smaller side of things to avoid the demand meter as I dont see the two machines pushing the 50kva service very hard at all, and can always upgrade down the road if things go well - it would just mean going to a demand meter)... from there, they said "it depends". So I wanted to do some more homework on stuff before I had them come out and physically look at stuff and get an estimate. Kind of trying to "know what to ask for" and avoid asking how much for something that is "not possible".

I guess trying to get a game plan in my head so I know what I might expect, as well as figuring out what things I might be able to do myself. (ie sticking in poles in the ground etc... All of this is fairly new to me, but I dont think Im an idiot, just unfamiliar with the "right" way to do things. On top of that, not currently being close to any library, I dont really know how to go about finding the magical book of what "Code" is to know what is and isnt acceptable. I imagine they will charge me for "getting together and taking a look at things" so I figure the more I know, and the faster the "meeting" goes, the cheaper it will be for me.

I have a buddy with a trencher, so that helps me some, and can also put up tall poles if need be... just dont know what might be the most cost effective ideas to start researching in depth.

Thanks!
Wade

The local utility will not allow you to perform any work on their side of the meter. The inspector will only allow you a specified distance between the meter and the panel. He will then have the final say on any wiring you do yourself. I have commuted to work for years. I have heard all the arguments in favor of commuting. Believe me, it a gigantic waste of time, money, and your backside. Avoid it at all costs. Regards, Clark

The local utility will not allow you to perform any work on their side of the meter. The inspector will only allow you a specified distance between the meter and the panel. He will then have the final say on any wiring you do yourself. I have commuted to work for years. I have heard all the arguments in favor of commuting. Believe me, it a gigantic waste of time, money, and your backside. Avoid it at all costs. Regards, Clark

That is not entirely true. I thought the same thing when I built my shop, but I had to dig the trench from the meter to the transformer and lay conduit with a string in it for them to pull the wire. Let me just say that trenching that close to a transformer will make your ass pucker.

Intermediate situation with Portland General Electric in Washington county, OR when I put in a new 200A service for my shop. Transformer about 100 feet from the utility pole and the meter about 50 feet from the transformer.

I had to use a PGE-approved subcontractor for the trenching and conduit from the utility pole to the new transformer ground pad location (xfmr primary), but I paid the sub not PGE. I could use anybody to trench and lay conduit from the ground pad location to the meter location (xfmr secondary). PGE crews placed the actual ground pad, the transformer and the meter and pulled both the primary and secondary runs.

50kva?
That sounds like a little much, you would probably be fine with three 25's, or two 25's and one 50 if you have a lot of single phase load. You would need to be up over 30 horse on one machine for most utilities to justify hanging 50's

Sound like they may have been quoting you on a single phase service since you mentioned transformer, not transformers (3 will be on the pole)

What utility serves you? You need to look up the construction standards for that specific utility. You can usually download them from their website. There is no "code" when it comes to your new meter and service to it. It all varies depending on the utility that serves you.

Last edited:
If it were me - I would upgrade the house to 200A right away. If it is a 100A service - it is no-doubt old skewl box to begin with. Likely 1950's? Hopefully NOT a Federal Pacific! And if it is - you wunna change that out before you fall asleep in that house!

If the house could be ran on 100A service, then you should be able to draw 100 off to the garage and be OK for a while. Maybe you don't run everybody at the same time, but - beats a 3-1/2 hr commute! ;)

You will git residential rates on your commercial power now as well! ($.05 less?)

I would NOT endorse any of your 3ph ideas in any way. ESPECIALLY rolling up an extension cord. And even more especially - thinking that you would re-use that cord in a perminent application alter! :eek:

Also - I would MUCH rather be in the garage as to be bumbing $ off the neighbors and local homeless guy!

One last thing:

You mention placing a new building within spitting distance to the 3ph poles.

Let me strongly advise you to place your building AT LEAST 10' further away from the pole as it is high!

You all have seen puney telephone poles and electrical poles come down. One here, and maybe two over there after a bad storm?

I have a trunk line that goes down BOTH sides of the section that I am on. Each side goes to feed a different town on down the line. These are not your little poles. They are 20" in diameter! Perty much the size of a 55 gal drum almost. I have had my driveway blocked by these.

TWICE!

And not just the ones at the end of my drive, but at least 1/2 mile in either direction as well!

The set on the other side of the section? Only been down once, but that was for about a 1/2 mile long secion as well.

I would not want a high power line to land on my (or yours) building! :willy_nilly:

Edit:

BTW - I would opt for a 125A breaker in that new box to feed the ...... Fridge in the garage.

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Another possibility...

And it would be simply to 'buy time'...

Snag a surplus 3-phase engine-driven generator. Fuel would eat you up a bit, but if your run-time is intermittant and occasional, it would let you set 'em up on-site wherever you like, and give you time to deal with the other issues (building, power service, etc) AND... if you have to REMOVE the house service for any length of time (like.. while they're reconfiguring your whole lot's service) the ability to keep the air conditioning, heating, etc., all operational.

And when you're done... selling a generator is easier than selling an RPC...

Sorry I didnt reply all weekend... still cant post from home... so had to wait til I got back to the office today.

50kva?
That sounds like a little much, you would probably be fine with three 25's, or two 25's and one 50 if you have a lot of single phase load.[...]

Sound like they may have been quoting you on a single phase service since you mentioned transformer, not transformers (3 will be on the pole)

What utility serves you? You need to look up the construction standards for that specific utility. You can usually download them from their website. There is no "code" when it comes to your new meter and service to it. It all varies depending on the utility that serves you.

I was told by the guy that the largest 3phase service I could get without getting a demand meter was 50kVA - so I figured best to go with the biggest I could get, yet under the demand meter. From what I gathered online, 50kVA is about 125 amps? That being the case, the Fadal is plated at 45 amps and the Okuma is at 44 amps. Figure those two running, plus a manual machine or two and air compressor, and if I go 208v service, then the lights would be on that as well... (saving a second meter charge for the single phase service) - I thought that would get me up there pretty quick... (of course leaving some "extra room" Maybe Im all wet with my calculations?

Im not sure how the two different sized cans would come into play - maybe that would be done in a 240v setup on a service that has the wild leg?

I didnt find anything yet on the Morgan County REA site as far as info on install stuff... but still looking. Once I know more about what I "need" Ill be talking with them more in depth anyway and have an on-site meeting Im sure.

If it were me - I would upgrade the house to 200A right away. If it is a 100A service - it is no-doubt old skewl box to begin with. Likely 1950's? Hopefully NOT a Federal Pacific! And if it is - you wunna change that out before you fall asleep in that house!

The house was built in 1908 - but an addition and some renovation at an unknown time. The box if I remember right was a SquareD HOM box... which means its at least "newer"... but it was a 100amp box. I had wondered about upping that to 200 amp service... and was going to look into that... but would be cost dependent here initially.

If the house could be ran on 100A service, then you should be able to draw 100 off to the garage and be OK for a while. Maybe you don't run everybody at the same time, but - beats a 3-1/2 hr commute! ;)

You will git residential rates on your commercial power now as well! ($.05 less?)

Very true... other than a little "redundant" cost... buying something to get me to 3ph for the mill and lathe, to then later get 3ph in the shop when it goes up. But if I stayed with single phase in the shop and upped the amps, I could carry that across... and stick with the phase conversion. Though I dont completely understand the calculations to figure usage - single phase converted 3ph versus straight 3ph from the utility to know if it would be advantageous. Rates on the website show residential rates at $ 0.032694 per kWh and "Small Power" (dont know for sure that is what I would be classified as) at $.034010 per kWh for the first 1000 kWhs and 0.010010 per kWh for that over 1000kWhs. So it appears that likely my rates would be almost the same - just a higher meter charge (18.00 vs 34.00)

I would NOT endorse any of your 3ph ideas in any way. ESPECIALLY rolling up an extension cord. And even more especially - thinking that you would re-use that cord in a perminent application alter! :eek:

I kinda figgerd that all of my ideas might not be very good

Also - I would MUCH rather be in the garage as to be bumbing $ off the neighbors and local homeless guy!

Only question then, is how to split off the electricity cost from personal and business... if its all on one meter.

One last thing:

You mention placing a new building within spitting distance to the 3ph poles.

Let me strongly advise you to place your building AT LEAST 10' further away from the pole as it is high!

You all have seen puney telephone poles and electrical poles come down. One here, and maybe two over there after a bad storm?

Very good suggestion... hadnt thought of that... well worth taking into consideration!

Edit:

BTW - I would opt for a 125A breaker in that new box to feed the ...... Fridge in the garage.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If I did setup in the garage, I would likely set up with a 200amp box... that way down the road, if I needed to up the cans, the wiring to the garage would already be there.

And it would be simply to 'buy time'...

Snag a surplus 3-phase engine-driven generator. Fuel would eat you up a bit, but if your run-time is intermittant and occasional, it would let you set 'em up on-site wherever you like, and give you time to deal with the other issues (building, power service, etc) AND... if you have to REMOVE the house service for any length of time (like.. while they're reconfiguring your whole lot's service) the ability to keep the air conditioning, heating, etc., all operational.

And when you're done... selling a generator is easier than selling an RPC...

True... might be worth looking into... any suggestions where to look for surplus generators? Had thought about building one for a backup for the house anyway... might be a good way to go... my main concern there would be what would be involved with "cleaning up" the power from the gen and the cost of what ever that equipment might be? Or are gens better these days and "cleaning the power" not a necessity?

Are you served by Y-W or Rocky Mountain?

Morgan County REA - Oh how I wish it was Y-W! They have a credit for new service install... which helps defray install costs... but according to the guy at Morgan CO REA, "they were leaving too much money on the table" so they quit doing that 5-10 years ago.
So it appears, I get to pay for everything any one way or another... then again, you always do... just a matter of if you know it or not.

Thanks for all the input! Im obviously still learning! Keep it coming!
Wade

Back