What's new
What's new

Brown and sharpe 618 surface grinder wiring help

Rcapper

Plastic
I bought a brown and sharpe 618 which was running on 460v 3 phase. I was told it was wired for 220 but it clearly was being used at 460v. The wiring cabinet is beyond my understanding and I’m hoping someone could help me diagnose. I am hoping to run it off my American rotary phase converter for 220 3 phase power.

It seems the magnetic breakers are not engaging and I have no idea what needs to be changed. I’ve already wired the actual motor for the spindle to run on 220. When I turn it on the 110 transformer works so the mag chuck, light and dro are all working. Otherwise the other buttons don’t do anything. One of the Buttons when pressed makes a sound from the electrical cabinet but I don’t know what it’s doing.

377FD6EB-E441-4B74-829B-6CA3E82B672D.jpg/ATTAC

You need to change the heaters as well. Cutting the voltage in half means the motors will use double the amperage. If you don't know electrical you'd probably be better off calling someone who does, just to be safe. You don't want to damage anything. It sounds like your starters may not be working correctly either if the machine was running when unhooked and now you're not even getting the motors to budge.

Normal changeover is spindle rewire, control transformer tap change and as above heater replacement and input fuse size.
For startup purposes is not normally needed but has to be done do do any serious grinding.
The bi relay will have a voltage on the green coil. This has to be right. If you did not change the control taps very possible to blow this guy.
There is also a push button stick on this guy. If it goes click when you push it you know you have tripped a heater.
Before pushing any buttons check the output voltage of the control transformer.
Assuming this a manual axis machine from the looks of the cabinet but pictures not big enough who is who and what is what.
Now come the weird things. You seem to have two transformers. Perhaps one is for the chuck? Wiring is not nice and neat B&S factory.
Bob

My Micromaster also has two transformers, one is for mains to 120VAC the other is for 120VAC to control voltages on the old school PLC type stuff. Maybe his has a similar setup.

I'm not sure how DRO and lights would be working without correct voltage. Bob is right though, check that the voltages are correct, absolutely.

I’m starting to think this is just beyond me. The second transformer is for the dro, mag chuck, and light. But regarding the rest of the suggestions I am needing more of a step by step idiot guide. Perhaps I should just hire someone to come rewire the whole thing for me. I really want to do it myself but I need it in baby steps.

Back