Buck/Boost to Phase Perfect
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    299

    Default Buck/Boost to Phase Perfect

    Alright, I've got a 240/32 buck boost transformer, 1.5kVa. I wired it according to the schematics from GE (the manufacturer) to reduce to 218V from 240. It worked in that voltage is going down from 241-243V to 216V, and after the Phase Perfect I'm seeing the two legs and the manufactured leg within a few volts of each other (like 216V/217V/218V).

    However... my three legs are 120V/95V/195V to ground, respectively.

    Is this normal or do I need to switch some things around? The CNC is down for repair so I've got some time to screw around with it right now.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    2,854
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1103
    Likes (Received)
    1138

    Default

    It's normal. What you have is good to go.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Alright, I've got a 240/32 buck boost transformer, 1.5kVa. I wired it according to the schematics from GE (the manufacturer) to reduce to 218V from 240. It worked in that voltage is going down from 241-243V to 216V, and after the Phase Perfect I'm seeing the two legs and the manufactured leg within a few volts of each other (like 216V/217V/218V).

    However... my three legs are 120V/95V/195V to ground, respectively.

    Is this normal or do I need to switch some things around? The CNC is down for repair so I've got some time to screw around with it right now.
    A Phase-Perfect's output is "Delta", so yes - not balanced with respect to Earth, only with respect to each other.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    299

    Default

    Yeah I knew about the high leg (used to be 118/122/208 after the PP) I just didn't quite get why the numbers don't seem to have changed the same degree. Electricity is magic!

    Also... these transformers are loud. I'm gonna have to start playing music in the shop!

    Appreciate the responses.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Yeah I knew about the high leg (used to be 118/122/208 after the PP) I just didn't quite get why the numbers don't seem to have changed the same degree. Electricity is magic!

    Also... these transformers are loud. I'm gonna have to start playing music in the shop!

    Appreciate the responses.
    "Magic" also meaning it doesn't take a huge spend on conduit and good wire (five-each 100 foot rolls THHN/THWN #4) to put most of this stuff (Diesel Gen set, RPC, Phase-Perfect, transformers...) off in a place where the sound is less obtrusive.

    Doesn't take much spend on some baffling in between to help even more.

    Call me old-fashioned - I am - but I have never had much tolerance for the distraction of "most" music in a workplace, when wheeling a fast touring car, nor left-seating an aircraft.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Posts
    2,854
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1103
    Likes (Received)
    1138

    Default

    After a couple of years my PP and transformer went outside. They are noisy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    After a couple of years my PP and transformer went outside. They are noisy.
    It does not take rocket science nor huge coin to protect them from snakes, rodents, insects, dust, pollen, excess / condensing moisture - the weather in general.

    The space freed-up is not huge - I was up for "stacking" P-P & RPC, both, in a corner - but at least serves me for one more tool storage drawer stack for goods that I do NOT want outdoors.

    Perhaps I am the "lone ranger" on this... or maybe not so much... but I know that when the time comes, a complicated electrical system in a garage/shop/annex is NOT a plus to quick nor top-dollar sale of the facility.

    Ergo a vote for 100% surface-mount conduit and outlets, any of RPC, P-P, transformers, and switchgear racked and even wheeled so it can all be easily severed, removed, sold-off, donated, scrapped, or transferred to your own NEXT facility with minimal fuss.

    Leaving the space clean, clear, and problem-free for the next owner to do as THEY please has monetary advantage.

    "plan ahea "


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    299

    Default

    Okay, so while waiting on parts still for my machine I am getting some testing done and after a few hours or so the transformer kicked the 60A breaker feeding the sub panel as well as the 50A breaker in the sub that is feeding the transformer (and subsequently, the Phase Perfect). I double checked the wiring but now it will kick the breakers as soon as I power it up.

    If this happened right away I would have thought it was an inrush issue, but it ran for hours before this occurred, and now it is instantaneous. I'm thinking the transformer may be fried?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    MI USA
    Posts
    890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    197
    Likes (Received)
    369

    Default

    Disconnect the wiring at the input to the phase perfect and then see if the transformer input breaker holds, recheck the transformer bank output voltage, if it holds on.

    SAF Ω

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    Okay, so while waiting on parts still for my machine I am getting some testing done and after a few hours or so the transformer kicked the 60A breaker feeding the sub panel as well as the 50A breaker in the sub that is feeding the transformer (and subsequently, the Phase Perfect). I double checked the wiring but now it will kick the breakers as soon as I power it up.

    If this happened right away I would have thought it was an inrush issue, but it ran for hours before this occurred, and now it is instantaneous. I'm thinking the transformer may be fried?
    NO LOAD on the P-P while you await parts for a downed machine-tool as is meant to be its primary if not also ONLY load? And the breakers are tripping?

    Sounds more as if you've borked the P-P than the buck/boost.

    Unless you under-spec'ed the buck/boost on KVA?

    What size P-P?

    Hang on... My 10 HP P-P wants a 55A upstream breaker, IIRC. Or at least it would for full-load delivery. Check your manual. we may have the same sizes and such.

    Worst-case you are bucking 13% with a 10% rated transformer. That is "worst case", but I'd want a 1.5 KVA or 2 KVA, not a 1.2 KVA. Better disconnect and check that buck trans for a fault, after all?

    You shouldn't be seeing this "at once" on an UNloaded P-P otherwise. They are not pussycats, but still.. nothing like the "starting" load of a 3-P motor-as-idler that doesn't KNOW in advance it is only going to "idle" after start-me time.

    Or IS it loaded? The machine just not "fully" active and making chips?

    P-P's manual have a different arrangement of a P-P when used "dedicated" and possibly serving as the motor's starter instead of as a general-purpose 3-Phase "mothership", all-comers, at-start or switched on/off, later.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    82
    Likes (Received)
    299

    Default

    I pulled the transformer out of the circuit and the PP works fine, everything else checks out. Looks like the transformer is bad? It was used when I got it.

    I can try what SAF recommends but I've quadruple checked my wiring and everything looks correct (plus it was working for several hours before it stopped). Transformer is a 1.5kVa unit.

    It is a PT-380 (30hp) but it is only hooked up to run maximum ~25A on the output side (input breaker and wiring sizing). I only have 100A service to the house, and this subpanel is only fed by a 60A breaker. According to Phase Technology the PP doesn't care what it is rated for it will only need as much input rating as you need output. I am set up for maximum of like 15kVa I think? I'd have to go back and look at my notes but I ran them by my electrician after posting here and everything checked out.

    The thing is, the tranformer draws immediately, but the PP doesn't engage and start drawing more than a few mA until after about 5-10 seconds when the contactor engages.

    I will look into how one goes about testing a transformer, I suppose?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    I will look into how one goes about testing a transformer, I suppose?
    Be rude of me to chuckle, Rick.. But you just DID "test a transformer". "Destructively, even!"

    It would now be a waste of yer time to bother to "look into it", most of those "dry type" units for indoor OR outdoor use being potted in waxy-stuff and sand grains or wotever to save on wax or wotever-it-is as they are.

    I'd suggest it gives you a wider margin, lower nose, cooler operation to use a buck/boost with a KVA rating good for closer to the rated 30 HP, even if you won't "go there".. intentionally. For now. But maybe someday-later-on?

    Five KVA mebbe? They are common enough, used, to not cost a lot more.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •