What's new
What's new

Buck Boost Trans for Bandsaw Blade Welder.

dkmc

Diamond
I have a Grob 4V-18 that was sold as a 460V machine. I've re-connected it for 230, and it mostly works fine, except the Blade Welder is 460 only, and I'd like to have it functional. It's rated for 460V and 8amps.
So my question is, is there a Buck-Boost transformer that will do this job? Looks like about 4kva size?
And, could I cheat a bit on kva size of the transformer seeing how the blade welder load is only about a 3-4 second use cycle?

240 to 480 Auto-transformer

Use a 2KVA 240 x 480-120/240 single phase transformer, connected as a auto-transformer.

Buck boost is not the right term, this implys a small voltage change, you want to double.

Xform 1Φ 240V to 480V.jpg

Is that enough cheating for you? half size...

SAF Ω

rated for 460V and 8amps.

3680 nominaly, call it 4 KVA, yes.

SAF's suggestion should work , but might not be a money-saver.

Look for used-but-good 1:2 // 2:1 2XX <=> 4XX step-up/down in the next coupla larger sizes, too. "Full isolation" is fine.

You could easily find simple "availability in the moment" - and SHIPPING cost - makes a 4, 5 or even 7.5 KVA cheaper than a 2 KVA.

Page Two;

IF, repeat IF.. a transformer/inductor was a designed-in component essential to stabilization of the welder's current flow? There would have been one provided as "ballast" or choke to begin with - regardless of operating Voltage.

This one is not "it", if only because it was not "already there".

Accordingly, oversizing is more likely to deliver a good outcome than undersizing.

Transformers are "also" chokes or ballasts by their very nature.

2CW

I have 2 stryco blade welders, and one I applied a 220/440 xformer to, oversized it (it was what I had) and have had no problems with it.

The 8 amp rating might be correct, but I'll wager the short duration current is higher, much like starting current in a motor.

Unfortunately, if you don't supply all the current that welder needs,(unlike a motor, which would have a longer spin up time), the welds (being of very short duration) will suffer.

Thanks for the replys. I'll have to do some shopping..... local scrap yards aren't as accommodating any more.

Not likely to ever be, again most major city areas. "Liability thing", among other reasons.

Same is true of "drops" or cut-offs of virgin metals, many suppliers who cut customer orders to size, BTW.

That's where some of these online outfits gained traction. They can put staff - and saws - onto making a nuisance into a revenue-generator vs sending the material off for re-melt.

BTW .. I "personally" don't want anything to do with leaded steels. The "L" in 10L or 12L... They seem to want to RUST more readily than unleaded.

Likewise 4XXX series. Happy to order and use those. Lots of merit in the family.
Not as happy for keeping very much of it around for "what if". Dead-esy to GET it any time yah need it.

I prefer 8620 AKA "Ordnance Steel", anyway. Try welding each, you'll discover WHY!

Looking stuff like that up on the 'net is NOT "cheating" BTW.
Called "enlightenment", and is meant to be encouraged!

Search Capabilities for Materials Property Data

:D

Back