What's new
What's new

Buck Boost Transformer: Wire Connectors?

300sniper

Hot Rolled
I'm used to dealing with standard transformers that have lugs to land cables on. Now I am working with two 1.5kva (Acme T111684) buck boost transformers to buck my voltage. I am going to have #6 THHN coming in and #2 SOOW going out to the machine. The transformers have #10 and #14 pigtails. The small wire size still baffles me, but I suppose it is correct from what I've read.

Question is, what is a good connector to use for cable sizes so far apart? Obviously wire nuts aren't going to work like I see in all the videos.

Edit: I suppose split bolts would be the obvious answer, but since I started the thread, I'll listen to better options.

I'm used to dealing with standard transformers that have lugs to land cables on. Now I am working with two 1.5kva (Acme T111684) buck boost transformers to buck my voltage. I am going to have #6 THHN coming in and #2 SOOW going out to the machine. The transformers have #10 and #14 pigtails. The small wire size still baffles me, but I suppose it is correct from what I've read.

Question is, what is a good connector to use for cable sizes so far apart? Obviously wire nuts aren't going to work like I see in all the videos.

Edit: I suppose split bolts would be the obvious answer, but since I started the thread, I'll listen to better options.

I stash this general type in several sizes, then slice-off 2 if I need 2, 4 if I need 4, etc. Can use one if need be.

It isn't just cheaper - I'm less likely to be empty handed and have to stop work and go-fetch.

7A 12 POSITION TERMINAL BLOCK | All Electronics Corp.

Big Box have similar ones on the wall. Worth keeping on-hand even for temporary test set ups.

Your wire size mismatch throws a flag, though. I'm always one-size up, meself, sometimes more, but what is the current rating of the low-voltage side of your transformer vs your overall current plan?

I see # 10, automatically think only 30 A.

Split bolts will indeed work, but need bundled up in tape, which is a pain later.

These terminal blocks work well, and will handle the size range you have. Not that expensive either. I have used them in products, no issues.

McMaster-Carr

Back