What's new
What's new

Build your own sophisticated Variable Frequency 3phase controller

Interesting, I had no idea Motorola supplied info like that...thanks Ed.

Pretty much all the semiconductor vendors have a ton of data on-line.
Application notes, data sheets, design notes, examples, etc.

There is one leeetle detail....the app circuits don't always work in a practical manner. Sometimes they are only generally accurate, with details left out, or sometimes wrong (misprint, etc). And even for the majority which do work OK, you generally need to "bring to the table" some additional knowlege to make it work in reality.

That said, they are a huge help. Vendors know how lazy and also how pushed for output engineers are.

Recently I have become a big "app note whore" because I am getting into some stuff that I am not particularly familiar with. Easiest way in is to make up the app circuit and see how it goes.

If you are a "real customer" you can usually get a demo board version of the app circuit, all built and evaluatable on the spot.

The websites usually have direct links to app notes by part, or there may be a "support" area.

It's a VFD kit, no different from many others. A clever home techie might assemble parts to make a home brew VFD but unless he has deep discount sources I doub't if he cooks up anything lower in cost than a discount VFD off ebay or Dealer's Electric.

The chalenge is another thing. If you gotta build one here's where to start.

Oh, trust me there are lots of engineers at Motorola who enjoy getting things to work.

Honestly, it is CHEAPER to buy a commercial VFD, especially with prices on surplus units, than build your own. Still it is great fun to build things!

A good book is Motor Control Electronics Handbook by Richard Valentine (Editor).

To give you an idea of a past project, take a look at: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/121.html
Note, I no longer have the vehicle, as it was left with my previous employer (hmm, wonder who that was?
smile.gif

Tom Walter

[This message has been edited by roundrocktom (edited 11-08-2002).]

GOOD LUCK. I run my machines on VFDs.They are the greatest but it will take an electronics whiz to build one Just programing the things is a project. Most of the engineers dont know whats going on inside.The prices are coming down on the factory made units,save yourself grief and money,buy the real thing You get good clean 3 phase, and lots of control options if you can understand the manual.----TS

The particular Ap Note I referred to uses a preprogrammed micro controller (MC3PHAC: Motor Control Unit), which is sold ready to use. The complete set of Gerber files are also available which could be sent to any PC fabricator, probable cost would be $60 dollars plus or minus for 2 boards. The only significant expense would be in the driving transister/mosfets. Suitable power transisters/mosfets show up frequently on EBAY for peanuts. With all this said I am not proposing this as a first electronic project for the unwashed.

Regards,
Ed

Back