What's new
What's new

Can I use one 24v power supply to run a ventilation fan and a work light on a mill?

Randalthor

Cast Iron
I recently bought a new (used) work light for a B-port. It's a decent quality Halogen light. It runs off 24v. Takes a 70w bulb.

I have a 24v power supply in the same box I use for the VFD for the mill. I use the 24v power supply to run a small cooling fan for the box, to keep the VFD cool.

I'd like to use one 24v power supply to run both the cooling fan and the work light. My question is that when I look at DIN power supplies, they say something like "Single Output Power Supply". Is there any reason why I couldn't run both the fan and the light off one "Single Output Power Supply?"

I can't think there would be any reason why I couldn't run both off of one power supply (assuming the power supply is big enough - 120w would be big enough) but I thought I'd run it past some folks here.

I could just add another power supply, but the box is already a little crowded and I'd like to save some room in case I want to add something else in the box.

Also here are a couple power supplies I'm looking at, both 24v, 5A. Is one better than another for my application?

https://www.amazon.com/NDR-120-24-S...ly&qid=1550438326&s=industrial&sr=1-1-catcorr

https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-DR-120-24-DIN-Rail-Supply/dp/B07B3BF1RT

The cheaper power supply says it's for industrial applications, but I can't figure out the difference between the two, other than they look a little different and the price.

I don't know if it matters, but here are a couple pics of the box I'm using.

KIMG1384[1].jpg

KIMG1382[1].jpg

Here's the work light.

KIMG1387[1].jpg

The single out specification means that it has only one output voltage, as Rob F. speculated. No reason at all why these supplies could not run both your fan and light.

As other indicated, single output is one voltage, some may have more than one so something like 5VDC and 12VDC. I routinely run multiple low voltage lights, fan, tach, etc, off of one power supply. Have switched to LED bulbs for the most part, in particular because of the heat generated.

As far as Meanwell power supplies, I find they are very good at the price level. I typically use the NDR series, I believe the DR is a previous gen model, but should be fine for this purpose. There are small differences between models with regard to durability, MTB, and things like ripple and overload capacities. They also come in different sizes and shapes. Also use the Automation Direct Rhino power supplies, and have never had an issue with either.

Back