What's new
What's new

Can This Single Phase Starter Setup Be Rewired For 3 Phase?

rwilliams

Aluminum
As asked in the Subject Line. Can this set of Single Phase contactors, wiring diagram attached, be rewired to use Three Phase power.

I am trying to figure it out but I not an electrician. Any advice will be appreciated.

I know I could buy a set of contractors but I don't want to do that if I can avoid it.

Bob W.

Attachments

• Rockwell 11 Wiring Diag.jpg
    Rockwell 11 Wiring Diag.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 85
The combination starter was built for a 120V motor, and hence has only one heater element, to protect the motor windings. 3 of them are required for a three phase motor.

But the rest of it likely can be converted if you understood how to. First thing to consider if trying that is the size, is the contactor rated big enough for the motor you want to run with it?

SAF Ω

Thanks for the reply's.

Stuart, I hope/intend to keep reversing capability.

Phil, the single phase rating for the set is 115V 2HP and 230V 3HP.

SAF, good point on the need for 3 heaters.

Bob

Thanks for the reply's.

Stuart, I hope/intend to keep reversing capability.

Phil, the single phase rating for the set is 115V 2HP and 230V 3HP.

SAF, good point on the need for 3 heaters.

Bob

If you need to control 5 HP .. or LESS.. don't even waste yer time MESSING with single-phase goods.

Proper 3-Phase can be had cheaply.

Any of many HUNDREDS of 3-Phase contactors, old or new styles, brands and types will do the job better and safer, plus you can complete it faster - new or "new old stock".

See NRi, Mouser, eBay in general. "Filter out" the $100 and up goods.
You do not have to replace a specific one with the SAME one that runs those prices up.

Not recommending either of these ones. Just examples that can help start your OWN search:

Telemecanique Magnetic Reversing Contactor LC2D09G7 Square D 120V LC1D09 785901207382 | eBay

Cutler Hammer C10CN3 Series A1 Magnetic Contactor 3 Phase 120V Coil NEMA Size 1 | eBay

Chinese ones are as little as $20. But I would not. Least of all after their little "gift" of more COVID-19 than we mought have had.

Thermite,

I will take a look a your suggestion. The cost could be quite reasonable for all the pieces parts given I would need some type of 3 Phase overload either way.

By the way you Combat Engineer types were nice to have around.

Bob

Thermite,

I will take a look a your suggestion. The cost could be quite reasonable for all the pieces parts given I would need some type of 3 Phase overload either way.

By the way you Combat Engineer types were nice to have around.

Bob

Thanks!

"Most days.." it was shelter that didn't leak TOO damned badly. Water that tasted NASTY of chlorine.. but wuddn' kill yah. Ugly drainage, bridges, and culverts that didn't fail. Roads that were hell wet season or dry.. berms.. revetments.. but all got their job done...

But ever' now and then?

Well... "Sharp point of the spear" needs their way forward opened-up. Ahead of them?

No point in taking prisoners.

Survivors might only rat out that Combat Engineers in the advance don't DO that shit any more than close air support carries handcuffs or an 8-inch SP HOW beehive round issues parking tickets!

:D

MOST, not all, of even the "used" goods you are going to need will still work OK, so long as they look "clean" in the fotos.

Wore-out generally, burnt-out especially, tend to cover themselves in a nasty film of particulate smut and/or vapourized Phenolic and crumbling residue at edges that's "PFO" (Pretty F******g Obvious). Cannot easly warsh that type of smut off. Smart recyclers don't even try.

I'd avoid "DIN RAIL" mount goods like a bad rash, even though short sections of rail are easily had, though.

Most DIN goods are too narrow for more than "one time" use. Terminals, barriers around them, and rail mounting ears bust off all too often, and the folks yanking them don't give a damn.

Back