What's new
What's new

Capacitors in series and or in parallel

Krankieone

Plastic
I am in the process of collecting components to make my RPC easier to use and wire it up in a push button start cabinet with 3ph GPOs located in the appropriate places in the workshop.As part of this project I wanted to do some fine tuning on the balancing capacitors and in the intervening 40 odd years since we covered capacitance in high school I seem to have forgotten how they react in series if I recall correctly in parallel you add the values (50uf + 50uf = 100uf).I would be most grateful if someone would refresh my memory.

In series it is a good idea to put resistors on each capacitor to balance the voltage across them. If the leakage of each differs, there will be unequal voltages across them. All you need is enough current to swamp out the leakage, a couple of milliamperes for the oil filled ones you should be using in this application. 50,000 to 100,000 ohms should be adequate.

Bill

In series it is a good idea to put resistors on each capacitor to balance the voltage across them. If the leakage of each differs, there will be unequal voltages across them. All you need is enough current to swamp out the leakage, a couple of milliamperes for the oil filled ones you should be using in this application. 50,000 to 100,000 ohms should be adequate.

Bill

If your capacitors are rated to full line voltage it doesn't matter.

The resistor method works fine, but there are nuances to make sure your resistive voltage divider is stronger than your capacitive divider. Especially critical with wide tolerance capacitors or tight voltage margins.

Look on the cap it will state 50uf, 300vdc...rated voltage is 300 volts dc or it might say 25uf 330vac then the rated voltage is 330 volts ac. The rated voltage is a big deal never get close to the rating, the things go up like a hand grenade...Phil

Back