What's new
What's new

Clausing wiring issues

Mattr222

Plastic
So I have owned this machine for years, and with this extra time on my hands, I figured it was time to recondition the electrical system. Here it goes, these machines came with the stock 3 button Cutler Hammer Forward, Stop, Reverse switch. The person before me put in a new motor and wired the motor following the plate diagram. Only problem is the switch only works in forward, due to his wiring. The motor is a single phase 220v 6 wire. The switch has 9 terminals. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate it. I can provide pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
The simple explanation here is that the motor, being single phase, has a start winding. That winding determines which way it spins.

The connections have to be reversed to JUST that winding in order to reverse the motor. Some motors do not have the winding brought out, but a 120/240 V motor with 6 wires should have the start winding available on two of them. Those wires will be numbered 5 and 8.

So the reversing swith needs to reverse just those two wires.

Even then, the motor must come to a stop and then be started in the opposite direction. Moving the switch directly fro FWD to REV will not do anything, the motor must slow enough for the start switch to close, before the start winding can have any effect.

Perhaps you can post a picture of your motor plate so we can see what you have. A picture of the switch innards, and any diagrams that may be on the inside of the switch cover would be helpful as well.

Back