What's new
What's new

Connecting rotary inverter

Mr muddle

Plastic
Hi again, as you will see I have little to no knowledge with 3 phase and need some help/advice on wiring in a "sturdy" make rotary phase converter. I was told it was in good working order so am hoping that when reconnected will work o.k?
It was split into 2 pieces to aid transportation, (motor disconnected from control cabinet) and 240v supply in obviously removed. I've re-connected motor to wiring from cabinet which seems straightforward but am lost as to 240v supply in, I've connected my feed in to block connectors marked as 240 but nothing, unless there is fault in control cabinet? I'm trying to get pic of unit uploaded in the hope that someone may be able to help as there are so many of you clued up on here!

Attachments

• 20200419_120351.jpg
    20200419_120351.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200419_120404.jpg
    20200419_120404.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Im a bit puzzled, the only thing I understand is you re connected the idler motor and reconnected the 240V input to the RPC and it did not work.

Would you be able to post a picture of the rating plate on your idler motor, a picture of the transformer rating plate and a picture of the RPC rating plate and a picture of any of the reconnecting you have done.

Jim

Hi again, as you will see I have little to no knowledge with 3 phase and need some help/advice on wiring in a "sturdy" make rotary phase converter. I was told it was in good working order so am hoping that when reconnected will work o.k?
It was split into 2 pieces to aid transportation, (motor disconnected from control cabinet) and 240v supply in obviously removed. I've re-connected motor to wiring from cabinet which seems straightforward but am lost as to 240v supply in, I've connected my feed in to block connectors marked as 240 but nothing, unless there is fault in control cabinet? I'm trying to get pic of unit uploaded in the hope that someone may be able to help as there are so many of you clued up on here!

Can't seem to find the maker.

There's enough "general & administrative" and/or "upper-level-management" Mike Foxtrot "overhead" in the fotos to hint at an (attempted) automatically load-adaptive RPC that is meant to tune its own balance to load changes, though. Some "CNC Grade" RPC do that.

If so, troubleshooting can get downright hairy w/o OEM documentation.

Very!

Might be best to not alter it in any way, simply "aside" it intact, until documentation can be found. "Reverse Engineering", by creating an "as-built" BOM, functional/block, and detailed schematic diagrams, as part of understanding it isn't really rocket insemination.

Neither is it an exercise so trivial as to be readily supported "over the wire" with no expert "hands on" access, nor appropriate test & measuring equipment on-site and also in experienced hands.

Meanwhile, if you have "stuff" to power-up to meet a deadline?

Any of many of those 'ere - or the published "stickies" - can walk you through getting the IDLER MOTOR producing 3-P with half a dozen components, and relatively common goods at that.

One of them merely a safe enclosure for the VERY few bits as actually NEED to live inside it for a rather more ordinary RPC that "JFW".

Then one can come back and beaver-away at understanding the complicated kinky-fuckery at leisure .....in your bottomless well of "spare time".

Hi Jim, for some reason I am unable to upload pics'
The tag on motor is:Leroy somer, 220v.
50hz. Min 1440. 9.0kw.
415v, 50hz, min 1445, 9.0kw.
Tag on cabinet: sturdy transformer.
Serial y893. Type an.
Input 480v 50-1 phase
Output 240/420v
7.5kw.

Hi Jim, for some reason I am unable to upload pics'
The tag on motor is:Leroy somer, 220v.
50hz. Min 1440. 9.0kw.
415v, 50hz, min 1445, 9.0kw.
Tag on cabinet: sturdy transformer.
Serial y893. Type an.
Input 480v 50-1 phase
Output 240/420v
7.5kw.

Leroy-Somer is no mystery:

Nidec Leroy-Somer - Wikipedia

"Sturdy" still is a mystery, despite there being several "world class" transformer makers in the UK.

This stuff is USUALLY easier to find some sort of "backtrail" on, and now and then it leads to one or more other owners, a shared-interest group, or a still-functioning firm that still has documents or even yet makes the parts we THINK are orphaned antiques.

Ex: I have a couple of specialized dual-mode filters here from an Italian maker "S.A.F.E". Research showed it founded by an ethnic Romanian Engineer who had emigrated to the North of Italy.

Your "Sturdy" one, OTOH, is coming up "empty". No idea if it is a Cornish firm as started out mining Tin for "Beaker" traders or was one retired Britrail power guru and a pig named "lunch" working out of a shed in his back garden for six months before he up and choked on a curry bun.

Last edited:
You have already stated "you have little to no knowledge with 3 phase and need some help/advice". I am trying to help you and you tell me "for some reason you are unable to upload pictures". Please post the pictures I requested.
Maybe ask a family member or a fiend to help with these pictures.

Jim

You have already stated "you have little to no knowledge with 3 phase and need some help/advice". I am trying to help you and you tell me "for some reason you are unable to upload pictures". Please post the pictures I requested.
Maybe ask a family member or a fiend to help with these pictures.

Jim

Jim? Your profile has the "Send email" feature active. More flexible than "Private Message" is.

The OP can email them to you directly, near-as-dammit ANY size or file format, PM's toolset and bit-budget limits per-graphic file type not a barrier.

2CW

Thank you Bill, I just had a look at that and can see how useful that might be.

Jim

AFAIK, it also lightens the load on the main PM server(s) as well. So I started leaving my PM-PM box full a long time ago.

PM-PM's are handled with the same VB toolset, editor, server and Database as "posts". That's a lotta work, and part of why there are small message count storage and limits on file and graphic sizes.

It's a new century.

If yer here over-the-wire at all, yah probably have yer own eMail. Most of them can handle huge message counts, bigger files and graphics, and massively larger mailbox sizes so as to store years and tens of years worth of messages without having to clean the box out every time it hits a count of 50.

Why load-up an already struggling PM server?

Back