Contact cleaning - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'd actually wager a guess that it was silver sulfide...which is a semiconductor. Silver oxide is still conductive, though less than elemental silver, and the heat from the arc would reduce it back to elemental silver. That's why silver is such a great metal for contacts, it's self reducing. I handle a lot of silver contacts, and it's rare to see them any color other than silver, or brown from the sulfide.

I like contacts. I'm ever searching for the palladium that's supposedly used in the good relays...but it has to have long leafs, as it requires a semi sliding action on the connection, though I can't remember why.

Anyway, I tried emailing you back, but it bounced back saying your email is full...as is your inbox here at PM. You must empty emails as often as I do!
    The dirt in this case was coal black. This is an old surface grinder so it has been running in coolant mist and assorted other oil. etc. for decades.

I got some space back in my email box. Time to do a mass transfer to another file.

Bill