Contactor Sizing - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 25 of 25
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    374
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    Regarding the original post... a 1.5HP motor should only pull 1.5HP or (745.7W per HP * 1.5 is 1,118.55W). I'm not an electrical (insert profession) and don't claim to be (refer to Just a Sparky and JST - I ain't learnt none that stuff proper, just hard knocks and a little reading.) Anyway, if you need a switch for a 1.5HP motor, get that. If the VFD says it wants 15A, get that. Heck, as long as it isn't a crazy difference in cost, I would buy the higher amp switch, anyway. It aught to last longer (especially with a lighter load).

    Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    22,062
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Regarding the original post... a 1.5HP motor should only pull 1.5HP or (745.7W per HP * 1.5 is 1,118.55W). I'm not an electrical (insert profession) and don't claim to be (refer to Just a Sparky and JST - I ain't learnt none that stuff proper, just hard knocks and a little reading.) Anyway, if you need a switch for a 1.5HP motor, get that. If the VFD says it wants 15A, get that. Heck, as long as it isn't a crazy difference in cost, I would buy the higher amp switch, anyway. It aught to last longer (especially with a lighter load).

    Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-
    Yah, really.. The heavier goods can actually be CHEAPER!

    And it isn't as if you had to feed a production line with a large number of identical parts, and shave fifty-cents a unit, anyway, is it?

    Ex:

    1 each NIB Arrow Hart Contactor # ACC330UM10, 3 Pole, 600V, 40 Amps, 24 vac Coil ITEM PRICE: US $17.00

    2 each NIB Duracool 30 Amp were $17.98 each.

    The NIB 125 A Fuji was still only $70.

    "etc."

    "Remaindered" former stale stock or shelf-spares as onesies and fewsies of top specification from decent manufacturers are all over the place, cheap and cheerful.

    Grab some and adapt.



    NNN

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    239
    Likes (Received)
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    2 each NIB Duracool 30 Amp were $17.98 each.
    Are we talking bridge contractors or mercury relays here? Durakool is mostly known for their mercury relays. $18 each for a 30 amp mercury relay that will last more or less forever is a pretty smoking deal. Especially if one has an inductive DC load to switch often.

    ...As long as you don't have to pay to dispose of them at end of life and they do in fact end up in haz-mat where they belong instead of landfill like so many mercury thermostats, PCB capacitors, etc.

    Cradle-to-grave engineering, basic ecological responsibility and all that.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    22,062
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    12694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just a Sparky View Post
    Are we talking bridge contractors or mercury relays here? Durakool is mostly known for their mercury relays.
    Nah. Not Hg displacement on those. Conventionals. Basic HVAC market goods, Mexican factory.

    A lot of these 'vanilla' goods are made in India as well.
    Buying from China is avoidable. Let's go Brandon.

    $18 each for a 30 amp mercury relay that will last more or less forever is a pretty smoking deal. Especially if one has an inductive DC load to switch often.
    They do and I do and I have a stash. But Mercury displacement units are typically $60 or so, and not as easy to find, NOS, major-maker.

    In any case.. for DC, an SCR bridge matrix under "4Q" DC Drive control - or Crydom SSR "H" bridge - is better yet.

    Single-phase especially, I've been using Crydom SSRs since the dawn of the 1970's.

    No contactors at all, no arc at all, no braking resistors, either, vs clunky contactors with controlled & quenched arc.

    I did say NO arc?

    Also less space, fewer wires, easier control, neat, clean, and effective.

    What's not to like about that?


  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    374
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Let's go Brandon.
    Amen.

    Sent by telegraph using - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

  6. Likes Just a Sparky liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •