What's new
What's new

Pissed and frustrated. ....contactor issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welder6131

Plastic
Just hooked up my RPC and I'm getting 240 on legs 1 and 2 and leg 3 is fluctuating between 234 and 255V. Cleaned my motor starter contacts and checked my transformer output which was about 125v on my lathe. I have to manually push my contactors in to get the magnetic starter to engage, but lathe motor will only run for a few minutes before kicking out. Double checked motor wiring which was good. If I press the start stop buttons I get nothing.

Where Do I go from here, would motor heaters cause this?

Pissed and frustrated.... That could be a whole thread...
But I will not share mine and let you keep your thread intact.
Good luck on your search.

You should change your title to something more discriptive, else boss might lock as meaningly title.

Can you post a diagram of how you have the RPC/lathe wired?

Tom

Just hooked up my RPC and I'm getting 240 on legs 1 and 2 and leg 3 is fluctuating between 234 and 255V. Cleaned my motor starter contacts and checked my transformer output which was about 125v on my lathe. I have to manually push my contactors in to get the magnetic starter to engage, but lathe motor will only run for a few minutes before kicking out. Double checked motor wiring which was good. If I press the start stop buttons I get nothing.

Where Do I go from here, would motor heaters cause this?

In your pissed and frustrated state you assume we understand your situation.

Leg 3 is between 234 and 255, not too bad.

Yes, contactor overload heaters would cause this. Are they on the idler or the lathe motor.
A picture or drawing would be nice.

The issue seems to be occurring at the lathe starter. RPC seems to be in good running order. The lathe ran no problems when I purchased (hooked up to 3 ph). I changed motor wiring on motor to 208v and confirmed it was correct multiple times. The heaters in question are at the lathe......how do I confirm these are bad?

"I changed motor wiring on motor to 208v" implies the lathe was wired for high voltage, like 480 volts; the contactactors would be sized for the lower current required for the higher voltage, so that is what is likely the problem.

Nothing bad about he heaters, they just won't handle the double sized amps required by the lower voltage. Always the "second part" of reconnecting a motor for lower volts is to address them

As to contactor not pulling in, see if you are actually feeding the coil the volts that are specified on same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back