What's new
What's new

Cp200 help

Helbub87

Plastic
I have bought a 1971 model cp 200 that has already been converted to single phase and seemed to be done right. Started welding with it and after about putting down 15’ of weld (not continuously ) it stopped arcing. I checked the contactor which looked to be fairly new and the middle and left contactor poles where fried like they got super hot. It never buzzed like the contactor was wore out or anything.. any thoughts or help would be great
Thanks

I have bought a 1971 model cp 200 that has already been converted to single phase and seemed to be done right. Started welding with it and after about putting down 15’ of weld (not continuously ) it stopped arcing. I checked the contactor which looked to be fairly new and the middle and left contactor poles where fried like they got super hot. It never buzzed like the contactor was wore out or anything.. any thoughts or help would be great
Thanks

"Buzzing" would indicate a mechanical problem with the coil.

If your contacts are fried, they might be too small. The conversion did go from (3) to (2), so current thru them went up 1/3 each.

Plus, you don't know how much wear was on them before you bought it, they doo wear out, since 1971, you could have a million miles on it.

Well today I figured out the buzzing was coming from the gas solenoid so I ain’t to worried about that till it stops working.

The contactor that’s in there was put in not to long before I had got it and it’s got the same specs as the one from 1971 that is obsolete with no replacement according to local Miller dealer.
I had snagged a replacement contact from work that they where going to throw away sense it was buzzing ( contacts arc out from metal dust and ware) and I took it apart and cleaned it all up an put it in and seemed to be running good all day but I did not go back yet to see if 2 of the 3 contacts where showing signs of getting hot yet. If it blows the contact out again I’m gunne end up having to take it to the local Miller dealer and have them look at it to see if there’s something wrong or if it was converted down to single phase in correctly .

My contactor has a jumper bar across the top and only have wires tapped in on the bottom 3 spots that’s what makes me wonder if something else isn’t wrong.. my contactor is Jules like this
http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/misc/CP-200_Single-Phase_Step-By-Step.pdf

Back