What's new
What's new

Dahlander motor rotary cam switch- off between speeds or not?

tomjelly

Stainless
I can get switches configured 1-0-2 or 0-1-2 to control my 2 speed single winding (dahlander?) motor, I see both types. Does the power need to be off to change between speeds or no? I was ready to buy this switch:
Dahlander Pole Changing Motor Switch|2 Speed|20A|10HP: P0200014R which I would wire like this:
2019-09-22 18.34.36.jpg
that turns off between speeds which I prefer so I can start at either speed rather than stepping thru the speeds (this is for a drill press), but now I see some others that switch directly from low to high speed without stopping. Is one type preferred?
2019-09-22 10.09.26.jpg

As long as the switch is break-before-make you'll have a disconnect between speed selections - this is probably a Good Idea.
My Holbrook has a 3-speed motor (two from a Dahlander winding, one from a separate winding all its own) but the speed switching is by a huge Frankenstein switch operated by a long lever - the lever has to be moved out of detent to change speed, which operates a microswitch and drops out the main power contactor feeding the Frankenstein switch, they obviously thought it worth the effort to de-energise the contacts while speed switching.

nikon 20140810 122.jpg
Frankenstein switch being added to new electrical panel...

Dave H. (the other one)

igor, release the kites!
I'm going with the 1-0-2 configuration. I can't be sure the switches are break before make with the 0-1-2

I had a mill with a Dahlander motor. The high/low switch had a center off so I got in the habit of leaving the on/off switch on and switching high or low as desired. That burned up the high/low switch with its many little contacts. Because the switch was mounted in a pocket in a casting, I couldn't use a bigger one and installed the largest one that would fit. When I sold the mill, I warned the buyer to always switch speeds with the power off. He promptly burned up the new switch and had an electrician install one in a separate box. The moral to the tale is yes, switching with the power on works fine, but make sure the switch is up to the task.

Bill

The hardinge contactors for their dahlander motors seem to work just fine switching the hi/low
stick to start, stop, or go right from one speed to the other. Granted these are at most 3/4 hp motors.

The contacts in even their oldest switches are exactly the same in the hi/lo box as the fwd/off/rev box.

And abosolutely the same in the split bed lathes.

Back