What's new
What's new

Which direction should I go?

agshooter

Plastic
Howdy,

I recently picked up a Clausing 12x36 built in 1954. It has a 3 ph 3/4 hp motor running 1800 RPM.

I see a couple of options to get the lathe up and running in my house. I have a 200 amp subpanel set up for my HVAC. HVAC is only using 70 amps, so I can add a couple more breakers for machinery. I just need to add the breakers and run wire to the "machine shop room." So this leaves me with option to run 220 or 110 or both.

1) Use a VFD to convert single phase house power to 3 phase for the motor. If I go this route, better to get a 1HP VFD with 110 or 220 input?

2) Replace the motor with a single phase motor like this Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com and wire it for 110 or 220.

I am thinking no matter what I do, wiring the shop for 220 would be best because that would decreased the amp draw on the subpanel and leave more room for other machines if needed.

Howdy,

I recently picked up a Clausing 12x36 built in 1954. It has a 3 ph 3/4 hp motor running 1800 RPM.

I see a couple of options to get the lathe up and running in my house. I have a 200 amp subpanel set up for my HVAC. HVAC is only using 70 amps, so I can add a couple more breakers for machinery. I just need to add the breakers and run wire to the "machine shop room." So this leaves me with option to run 220 or 110 or both.

1) Use a VFD to convert single phase house power to 3 phase for the motor. If I go this route, better to get a 1HP VFD with 110 or 220 input?

2) Replace the motor with a single phase motor like this Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com and wire it for 110 or 220.

I am thinking no matter what I do, wiring the shop for 220 would be best because that would decreased the amp draw on the subpanel and leave more room for other machines if needed.

I think from what you're saying, the 200amp panel is not in the same area/room as your shop, in which case I would suggest putting a 100 amp breaker panel in your machine shop. It makes it a lot easier down the road to add new machines, change voltage, etc. This is regardless of what you do with the Clausing.

A VFD gives you single to 3-phase plus some speed control, but adds complexity, both in terms of setting it up and number of failure points. Replacing the motor is fairly straightforward, and gives you the option of going with more HP, which you may want to consider as 3/4 HP strikes me as on the small side for a 12x36.

Back