What's new
What's new

Distance from RPC Panel to Idler Motor

cwilcox

Cast Iron
Are there any guidelines for maximum recommended distance from the panel (with capacitors in it etc) to the idler motor?

I'm using a 10hp idler and was figuring 20 to 25 ft of wire from panel to motor. I ask because mostly I see the box right on the motor or <5ft away. I'm aware of issues with industrial VFD's and don't want to accidentally do something wrong. Planning on running #8 wire to the idler.

I'm using a 10hp idler and was figuring 20 to 25 ft of wire from panel to motor. I ask because mostly I see the box right on the motor or <5ft away. I'm aware of issues with industrial VFD's and don't want to accidentally do something wrong. Planning on running #8 wire to the idler.

#8 should do yah jest fine. RPC are sine-wave critters, so don't have the switching transients, let alone sensitivity to those arriving from other sources that a VFD "may" have.

FWIW, at 15-20 feet, Phase-Craft indoors, idler(s) outdoors, I'll be using #6. That is mostly because I MIGHT add a 5 HP secondary Idler, AND the #6 was left-over from other work paid-for years ago, has simply been underfoot with no other use for the length anyway.

Bill

10 hp is around 26 to 29A . You'll never get FLA out of it. So you could technically go with #10 but to be within 80% of building code, you will need a #8 for those just in case safety requirements.

I have #8 (10' run)running my Single/duel 5 hp. And my 20hp portable is only going to have #6(2' run)

Back