What's new
What's new

Do 2 hp single phase 220 volt 2 speed motors exist?

I have one. From a spa pump motor. 2hp at 3600 rpm and either .5 or .25hp at 1750. Capacitor run for 1750 rpm and resistance start through a clutch switch for 3600 rpm. 12 amps at 230v or 4.4 amps at 1750 rpm.

Two completely different sets of windings, so only 3 wires exit the motor.

If you want to make your own 2 speed motor, I suggest buying an 1800 rpm 2 hp 240v single phase capacitor start/run motor.

you will find 4 pole groups and a start winding which is also 4 poles.

take the two opposite pole groups and put them in series. take the other two and put them in series with a capacitor in series with them. you've now got a 120volt, 3600 rpm motor.

you'll need a number of switches to make this transition between the two.

if you can find a 480v motor you can run it on 240v for high speed. but you'll need to reconfigure the windings in series-parallel for low (stock) speed at 240v.

Cheap VFD's have made two speed 3PH motors pretty much obsolete and single phase input VFD's make single phase motors unnecessary.

I still run most of my Hardinge and Clausing machines with their 3PH two speed motors because I have a phase converter and they still work fine that way after over thirty years. But I rebuilt my newest Hardinge with a new 3PH single speed motor and single phase input VFD and it has a very large useful variable speed range with more HP than the OEM motor.

So it is hard to imagine the perceived advantage of a single phase two speed motor these days. I think some washing machines and furnace blowers had them, but probably with low HP ratings. I suspect my current washer has a VFD.

Larry

If a spa motor won't work, look for ventilation fan motors. Try QCSupply for starters, I'm sure you have similar on your side of the fence.

Hi All:
I'm looking for something that may not even exist; a 2 HP 2 speed single phase motor.

Tried Grainger?

HVAC Air-handler, fan, and chiller fan motors. Usta have 2, 3, even as many as FIVE speeds. 2 or 3 speed about all still made.

Most have been replaced with integrated "semi-VFD" drives.

Not a guarantee they'd do the job you need done, though.

Hi All:
The consensus I'm hearing is "don't bother" there are way better alternatives out there.

The application I'm considering is to replace the motor on a Deckel FP1 mill from the 1950's in the hope of making it more attractive to sell to a home hobbyist.
The original motor is hooped (looks like somebody walloped it with a forklift) and I'm pretty certain it cannot be fixed.

I want to send the machine to a good home (I bought it a decade ago and it's been unused and underfoot since then).
These are the perfect sized machines for old farts in their basements, but the goofy voltage three phase is an obstacle that makes them less attractive for hobby guys to buy.

So can any of you recommend a good way forward?

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Hi All:
The consensus I'm hearing is "don't bother" there are way better alternatives out there.

The application I'm considering is to replace the motor on a Deckel FP1 mill from the 1950's in the hope of making it more attractive to sell to a home hobbyist.
The original motor is hooped (looks like somebody walloped it with a forklift) and I'm pretty certain it cannot be fixed.

I want to send the machine to a good home (I bought it a decade ago and it's been unused and underfoot since then).
These are the perfect sized machines for old farts in their basements, but the goofy voltage three phase is an obstacle that makes them less attractive for hobby guys to buy.

So can any of you recommend a good way forward?

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Sort of thing I'd probably put a DC motor or a servo motor onto.

Others a VFD and 3-Phase motor.

All it is expected to do is run 'round and 'round in tiny circles, yah?

Can't be all that hard. Politicians do it all their lives.

Back