What's new
What's new

Electric Motor Help

blake in spokane

Hot Rolled
I just gotta 3/4, 110V, Bridgeport M head motor that crapped out. It was running extra warm, then hot, then a couple drops of oil out the capasators cover, then poof & smoke. It was still running when I shutter down. Question is did I have a bad capasator(s) to over heat to begin with or?

if the start capacitor switch contacts fused together then it will run hot until either the start capacitor fails or the start winding fails.

i'm assuming this is a single phase capacitor start motor. if it has a run capacitor you can disconnect the start capacitor and it might start up. if not, give the spindle a turn and it will start in either direction, backwards or forwards.

Electric motors are a lot like car motors. If you wait til they real hot and smoky before you shutter down, they gone cost you a lot mo' to be fixin.

The fact that some oil came out of the capacitor indicates the capacitor failed. You might be in luck and it failed and open before the winding burned. I'm not familiar with single phase motors that were installed by Bridgeport but I know they were. I would check to see if you have one capacitor or two. I'm assuming one and being used as a start capacitor. Since it was getting hot when running the motor it appears to be in the circuit during the run after the start. Therefore you start switch was not disconnecting the capacitor after it's up to speed. Replace the capacitor but be sure the start switch is working! If not you'll cook another capacitor.

Back