What's new
What's new

Electrical calculations.... help please

macds

Hot Rolled
Gentlemen,

Im tired, just finished up an emergency job. I am having a hard time finding the math for single to three phase power requirements, and would really appreciate some help from the electrical math wizards here!
I have a half arsed rotary phase converter ive put together to run my Hurco km5p. I managed to get things fired up the other night, and im pretty happy about that ;)
I have a 240->600 transformer running to a 20hp 600v 3ph motor, out to the machine. Works well, needs some balancing, but ill work on that later.

What I want to know is;
- the 20 hp motor is oversize for the requirements of the knee mill cnc, can I run other things on this setup at the same time? (20 hp motor was free, that's why im using it)
- If I can use it to support multiple equipment, what size SINGLE phase transformer do I need to run at max capacity for the motor?
- What size breakers (amperage) do I need to run above transformer, so I don't risk cooking anything? (each device past rpc will be individually fused)

Thanks a ton

I am pony starting it off my band saw right now. Im a master of redneck ;P
I will continue to pony start it, I like it, its simple and fool proof.
Im currently running off a 15 kva 3 phase transformer.... so derated its about 8 kva ish. Problem is the current transformer is a really weird setup, I don't know enough about transformers to describe it, but no matter what, I get voltage output on the NOT hooked up third leg...
At full draw the km5p requires 9kva @ 208 three phase.

Bill,

Yes, Im kicking 240 to 600 simply to satisfy the idler. Idler was free. Otherwise I would have a 240 3 phase idler. I figured this would actually work out ok, since I have other 600v stuff I could run off the rpc, and the km5p has its own transformer to go from 600v to machine requirements.
I realize there is loss going to 600 and back down again, but its what I have, and it allows me to run other 600v stuff as well.
So....
Any idea what size transformer and breakers I need to run the 20 at capacity?

Thanks

Bill,

I absolutely agree with you! Ive seen what an overloaded vfd can do to its twin on an unfused co-circuit ;(
So, what size 240 motor and transformer should I be looking for to dedicate to the 9kva 208 mill?

Back