What's new
What's new

Electrical question.... What’s the Most Cost-Effective Way to Obtain 380V?

TFPace

Stainless
I am interested in buying two machines in Europe that operate on 380V three phase.
In speaking with the manufacturer these machines are strictly 380V the motors aren't multi-tap like some Asian and US motors I installed.
More specifically the control boards need 380.

So now come the transformer question versus VFD.
I searched with no luck obviously but recall posts about PM members successfully doing what I'm wanting to do.

I'm attaching an interesting article on this topic too. http://What’s the Most Cost-Effective Way to Obtain 380V?

The loads are small. 10 kW max.

Thanks,

Tom

I have many 380 volt machines. The most cost effective method is to buy a used 230/380 3 phase transformer on Ebay or from someone like HGR Surplus. I have a brand new, still on the original skid, Square D 230/380 15 kva transformer I bought on eBay dirt cheap ($250) because the owner thought the 50 Hz on the nameplate made it unsuitable for USA use !!

But you don't need a new one....never had a used one that didn't work....I just prefer the "pretty" ones that all clean inside if I can find them that way.

My personal feeling is that the large amount of equipment coming from Europe to the USA, 3 phase transformers to get to 230vac or 480vac nominal are not an oddity. Especially compounded by the assertion that the control needs to see 380vac and is not stepped down to another DC voltage, etc.

If it were a simple machine with one motor and some pushbuttons then a VFD might be better and more cost effective. But when you are talking about redoing the controls I'd say that's a non-starter, unless you play a controls engineer on TV :)

I'm not certain on the hertz issue.
Hertz is a non issue, don't worry about it. I only mentioned it as it was a funny reason the seller of my Square D transformer thought it having low value for this country...since in reality it was just a nameplate formality and made no difference whatsoever. As to 380 volt 50 Hz motors, the only difference is they will run slightly faster on our 60Hz current.

Thanks guys !!!
Don, sorry for using the wrong forum.

On another topic one of which Don has addressed is the slowness of dealers responding to emails.
I had a Dutch friend call the dealer and ask what was going on with them. I had asked about crating fees, etc. How much time does it take to reply to a darn email.
Now I feel better :)

Tom

Back