What's new
What's new

Electrical schematic symbol master book

Bondo

Hot Rolled
I have been working on this one machine with special (to me) symbols on the electrical schematics.

Does anyone know where a large master list is of all the electrical symbols that exist?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many different ones to choose from...

Different countries use different standard symbols. In Europe they are supposedly the same everywhere (IEC standards), but I have found that to be not 100% true. IN North America we have IEEE, but also NEMA, JIC, and if someone want's to, they sometimes make up their own and simply provide a legend.

And some of the widely accepted ones for more complex functions need a scorecard to ID the players, even for those familiar.

And then you get to styles of schematic layout. My fave is the ones with two or three symbols, interconnected and then with just tagged ends going to everything else in the unit... Usually there are pages of these sub-sections, not always organized in a sensible way, and often several subsections, separated on different sheets, forming one function block.

The PC layout program does not care.... and apparently nobody is supposed to ever fix it.

Or where the coils and contacts are all clearly labelled, with all the coils shown on the drawings of the PLC cards, but the contacts shown in the power sections of the drawings, and no indication of exactly where the coil for CR4 is if you're trying to find out why the safeties won't close...

Drawings where there's a manually added note to see 'sheet 6' are also great if there was then a renumber.

No drawing index is also fun.

Different countries use different standard symbols. In Europe they are supposedly the same everywhere (IEC standards), but I have found that to be not 100% true.

I had a Maka gantry mill to work on, not only were there no English copies of the manual or diagrams, but they apparently just made up their own standard for the electrical print. Every device with a switch, relay, contact, sensor, or other mechanical electrical function that was'nt a coil used the symbol for a limit switch. I spend hours trying to locate a single broken E-stop switch because no one could read German, their support was unavailable, and there was nothing to indicate what the device was on the print, or where on the house sized machine it was located lol. Don't ever assume that everyone works to the same standards, or that they even have standards to follow.

There are no standards really. No matter what anyone says. Each Corporation appears to have their own standard, but it is normally unique to the firm. Not only is this true for electrical diagrams and schematics, but also with mechanical drawings...... it is a real nightmare.

Back