What's new
What's new

Q on moving residential electric meter

viper

Titanium
In a nutshell, I want to do some house mods. I know that the second that I do that, I will have to move my electric meter. If I do that, the screws will start coming loose and the county will require moving my indoor breaker panel, etc, because it does not meet current code. I just want to add a quick bedroom for a "new addition" to the family (no, nothing unsafe, just not current code). I got the idea to call the electric co and tell them I am adding something on the back that will not require permits but will impede their ability to get to their meter so if they could "move" it, that would be great. Their happens to be a pole 40ft away that will be perfect for the meter mount and they own it. basically terminate the existing meter and hang it 40 foot upstream.

Can anyone see an issue here? My goal is to drop this addition in a weekend. I just cannot do this with my meter on the primary addition wall. If they cannot get to the meter, there will be a problem... No meter, no problem...

Call the power company and ask. If they are in a helpful mood, no problem. If they decide they shouldn't do it. It won't happen.
Guys from Kansas are helping our local fellows get power back going from the storm.

You may be in for it anyway..... an addition will involve the local inspector anyway......

As for the meter on pole...... just remember that usually, the powerco is responsible for everything up to the meter..... or at least to the peckerhead wires.

if the meter is on a pole at a distance, there is a drop which will now be YOUR responsibility, YOUR problem to fix after ice storm, tree falling, etc.

If you do a house addition without a permit your insurance company now has a reason not to pay for fire or other damage to your house.

Change perspective

Okay, so there's problems, and solutions... don't let one point-of-view overshadow other solutions to such problems.

First of all, if permits are required, there's too many reasons TO get permits, and not enough NOT to get permits.

Next... consider each problem to be an opportunity for improvement. While it's unhappy to have skeletons in the closet, it sure makes for a nicer closet if you can throw 'em out... so find a place where you really WOULD like a new box. Let's say you've got a workshop that really, really could use good power. Let's say you could install conduit from that area, to the vicinity of your existing utility panel.

Install your new meter box, riser, and weatherhead, with new panel...
and make your existing utility panel a 'subpanel'.

The reason why your local inspector would require a change of panel, is because your minimum service level would go from whatever it was originally (60, 100, or mebbie 150A) up to some new standard (200A).

Since I've done this a half-dozen times now, what I'd suggest, is that you talk with a few local electricians, and get their opinions on the local inspector's attitude about dealing with renovations and relocation of electrical services. You may find out that he/she is reasonable and intelligent, or they may be totally clueless and living off a book and a pencil. If the latter, I'd say call 'em in to look at the situation

Keep in mind that the reason why there are electrical codes has NOTHING to do with electricity... it's all based on 'fire safety'. There are aspects of National Electric Code that actually fly BACKWARDS in terms of electrical safety, and in some cases, are moronic and unjustified (having no basis for ANY safety), but they're there. When done, the only thing that matters, is wether the inspector signs the sheet.

And once the inspector is gone, if you change something, it's changed. Which is exactly what I did when they required me to install a so-called 'convenience' outlet in an absolutely stupid location on a spot on the outside of my house where it made no sense, served no purpose, provided a convenient place for ingress of moisture and insects, as well as a wonderful opportunity for my wife to get zapped every time she watered her flowers. And It existed in that position 'till he signed the papers. He hadn't even left the property yet, and I'd pulled it off, filled the holes, and installed a new piece of siding... and he didn't care.

But as for your original issue, I did exactly what I suggested... I actually dug my house service entrance underground to a different location, and installed a new panel, making the old one a 'sub'.

IF you live in an area where you see frequent power outages, what would make most sense, is to install a small outbuilding into which you can put a backup generator... have the utility company land the meter THERE, and install a manual disconnect and an automatic transfer switch there, and then trench underground to the house, where your new panel resides. That solves you several issues, and gives you many added benefits.

Back