What's new
What's new

First RPC build

West-7

Aluminum
Ripped a 230v 10hp 3 phase motor off a chop saw I just picked up.

Any reason why this motor wouldn't work?

What size pony motor would work best for a 10hp?

4f41dee0a413e8e4e5cce3ea5c38cdfb.jpg
bfc6976cea87b124a3ad8bd23433c8ab.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_X017DA using Tapatalk

What does the rest of the tag have to say - any mention of three phase ?
No but its for sure a 3 phase motor. Has 3 legs and the diagrams for 230/460 in the junction box on the motor are for 3 phase.

Bought a 60 amp fuse for my panel a 60a disconnect switch and some wire to hook up the motor. Going to try and get it started shortly.

That looks like a 3 ph. motor to me. A good indication is the lack of start/run capacitors. I would use a self starting design and abandon the pony motor setup.

60 amp Siemens disconnect switch temporarily wired to panel.

Will be routing wiring etc through conduit after I get things working and build a proper rpc.
720d37daa8e8a31d3433a20ddc760ed3.jpg

That looks like a 3 ph. motor to me. A good indication is the lack of start/run capacitors. I would use a self starting design and abandon the pony motor setup.
I'm going to eventually use a self starting setup but I'm running short on funds and need to get at least some of the machines back running and making $. Thankfully most of my stuff is 230 3 not high voltage.

Paid my last year's lease up front in cash now this year the landlord decided he wanted to double the amount and demanded payment up front. Must have thought I was rich or something.

Trying to get most of my equipment set up in my garage until I build a shop on my property.

Hooked the motor up to single phase on t1 and t2, spun the motor clockwise with a pneumatic impact gun, threw the disconnect switch on and it started spinning but also started smoking.

The motor could be done since it came off a $200 mystery chop saw.
357230978577d889f37af2eaa006fe2b.jpg

What current did it draw at that point? That is the question.

Double check the connections vs the data plate.

threw the disconnect switch on and it started spinning but also started smoking.

That indicates a short and things will never get any better, just worse. Give it up to the recycler today and in a week you will forget about the whole thing.

That indicates a short and things will never get any better, just worse. Give it up to the recycler today and in a week you will forget about the whole thing.

It may be a short, as in shorted turn. If there is no wiring error, then that is likely true. But I would check the wiring first.

It may be a short, as in shorted turn. If there is no wiring error, then that is likely true. But I would check the wiring first.

If it's a shorted turn in just one of the windings it can sometimes be detected by applying a low *AC* voltage to each coil in turn, the shorted winding will show a higher current than the other two - wise to put something in series if your AC source can deliver much current to protect the motor, and vice versa if the AC supply's a bit weedy :)

Dave H. (the other one)

Back