What's new
What's new

Foot Pedal to control VFD

wgupta

Plastic
I have a Speedmaster Micro VFD and want to use the REMOTE control function to control it with a foot pedal. How do I go about doing this?

Use a potentiometer foot pedal. A TIG pedal should work. Positive supply to one end of the pot, ground to the other end, and the pot middle goes to an analog input. Most manuals will show this among the first schematics. You need the manual to program it, right?

Use a potentiometer foot pedal. A TIG pedal should work. Positive supply to one end of the pot, ground to the other end, and the pot middle goes to an analog input. Most manuals will show this among the first schematics. You need the manual to program it, right?

I don't want the pedal to be able to control the speed, just an on and off switch. While the pedal is pressed the VFD will be on and when released the VFD should shut off.

Thanks! I've looked at that manual, I'm just confused about how I should wire the foot pedal in the 2 wire control.

Start by getting the vfd manual online

It will give you the remote pinouts, the programming of it, the value of the potentiometer

I don't want the foot pedal to be able to control the speed though. Just to turn the VFD on and off, speed should be controlled by a separate potentiometer.

Do you want only one direction defined as forward? What about reverse?

From the manual referenced (forward only):
Connect pin 5A to pin 2.
connect pin 12A to pin 2.
Make/break contact between pin 1 and pin 2.

If you want industrial quality I recommend these that I own:

With the Linemaster I use a stainless steel hood.
Product Detail – Linemaster

Heavy Duty 9002 Industrial Foot Switches | Schneider Electric USA

PLUG AGAINST FOREIGN MANUFACTURING:
I bought the first one for $15 and the second Square-D for $35n in a surplus store. That was in 2016. When the industry was thriving the trivial left-overs
from a companies project gets dumped to the surplus market. Still happens now but noticeably less. In this area the stores have reduced from 3 to 1.

Back