What's new
What's new

Fuji Frenic Mini Setup

ptsmith

Cast Iron
Page down to "issues" if you want to skip the boring back story.

Garage hobbyist. I have a 3HP Lagun FTV-2 mill and originally purchased a Teco L510 VFD for it. I opted for a Teco because it seemed to be the most popular VFD in the ~$200 price range and there are a lot of youtube videos on programming them. Because of help from the youtube videos I assumed the Teco would be easy to program, and it was. And it seems like a good unit. I posted a thread about it and got a lot of help from here as well.

I wanted to stop the mill quickly and the Teco has no external brake resistor option. So I recently sold the Teco and purchased a 3HP Fuji Frenic Mini. Same price range and recommended by Wolf Automation. The tech I talked to thought the Fuji is a better unit than the Teco.

Other than setting up the basic perimeters, there's few youtube videos on this model, so harder for someone like me to set up. My experience with the Teco did help though. And finding a "quick start" manual last night has helped as well. A lot easier to locate the perimeter codes. I included a link at the bottom.

Issues.

1) With the Teco, setting the carrier frequency to 16kHz made the motor noise almost inaudible. With the Fugi, if I set it at 16kHz it's quiet at ~29Hz speed and above, but loud below that. At certain odd settings such as 5kHz and I think 7 and 10kHz, it's the opposite. Quiet at lower frequencies and loud at higher ones. Am I doing something wrong?

2) Torque boost. Setting are F9 and F37 (page 20) I have F37 set to "2", Auto-torque boost. And F9 to 0 as it's not functional with F37 on auto. Is this OK?

Frenic Mini Quick Start.pdf - DocDroid

Did you find your answers about the Fuji VFD? I have had good results with a 5kHz carrier frequency, low noise and I think lower frequency is better in general. I set F37 to "2" for auto torque boost and F9 to "0". I will have 7 VFD's for my tools eventually and 4 other 3 phase machines on a RPC. All of my VFD's will be Fuji because I have been happy with them and I am familiar with them. I still think an RPC is a better way to go unless you only have 1 or 2 machines that need 3 phase or if you need speed control or braking. Most machines don't work out well with VFD variable speed control unless you replace the original motor with a larger one and overspeed the motor for more speed range. You often also need to change the pulley sizes to something more appropriate for the new motor speed range.

The major limitation with the Teco L510 is the lack of a braking resistor on the 120/240VAC versions. OK for the basics and most people can set it up easily. I have had a few people who had motor incompatibility issues with the L510 ,but for the most part they work well. Haven't installed the Fuji mini, but others have recommended it for a mid price full featured VFD. Albeit the programming can be a bit intimidating, but so are many other comparable VFDs in this price range. I have used a lot of Hitachi and Yaskawa VFDs, they have worked well but for some first timers the programming is difficult.

Have you run the motor autotune to determine the motor parameters and the VFD will load them into memory. You will most likely need to do the static autotune unless you can remove the belt drive. I would check that the motor parameters are correct.

In older motors I tend to use lower carrier frequencies, so I do not suggest 16khz. Typically 8Khz possible 12 Khz, the Lagun motor I assume is around 1980s, so not too old. These are typically dual voltage motors so running them on a VFD at 230 VAC should not cause any issues. A larger motor in conjunction with a VFD is typically needed if you intend to use it with 1 or 2 speed mechanical speeds. If you have a vari-speed type head, then I usually recommend using the mechanical speed adjustment most of the time, otherwise you will get uneven wear if you leave it at one speed. My 3 Hp knee mill with a factory VFD system runs on 2 speeds and covers 50-5000 RPM, it uses a direct drive belt and a back gear. One difference (relative to standard knee mills) is that the vector motor runs from 20-200 Hz, so most of the upper speed range is full Hp.

Back