What's new
What's new

Generated leg at 200v

AdamTMarshman

Plastic
I’m no sparky by any means but 200 seems a little high. I bought a rotary phase converter panel on eBay from WNY, wires it up to a old Westinghouse 3hp motor, wired low voltage 220 and I’m getting 204v on the phantom leg. Is that something I should be worried about? I’m powering a Bridgeport j head mill that says it’s wited 230v. Any input to help me tune up my rig would be immensely appreciated.

You say that seems high, but you have the motor wired for 220V. I would suggest it sounds a little LOW.

I am going to bet that you are measuring to each hot line from the neutral. In that case it is about right. If you had real 240V, that voltage would be a few volts higher.

You NEED to measure from line-to-line. If the "generated leg", what you are calling "phantom", is labeled "B", and the other two are lebeled "A" and "C", then you need to measure from A to B, B to C, and C to A. THOSE are the voltages that you want to be watching.

You probably got 120V from neutral to A, and from neutral to C, and then got the 204 from neutral to B, which looked high. But that "neutral" has no part in the 3 phase, just ignore it and measure A to B, etc. I bet you will find they are all 3 pretty close.

Yessir, a to b 240, b to c 240 and so on.
My question now is, is this voltage compatible with a motor that is wired 230v?
And what is the specific wiring configuration to the plug? I have mine wired
G=ground
X=L1
W=l2
Y=l3
Is this correct? I’ve been told that if it isn’t wired correctly that the machine will spin backward. Any help is appreciated.

If the motor spins backward, the wiring is OK, but you need to reverse a pair of phase wires.

"correct" wiring on the plug assumes that wiring inside preserves the phase identification all the way into the motor, and that the supply is wired to the same standard. That may, or may not, be true. If damage can occur if the motor runs in reverse, it is best to check the motor with the belt off, or with motor otherwise disconnected mechanically, and verify rotation before running the entire machine..

Since your converter IS the supply, your wiring of it will affect all the other motors thay may be connected. If most are running backward, reverse two wires on the converter output, then fix the few motors that are running backwards (if any). If most run correctly, then just fix any that are running backward.

Back