What's new
What's new

Genset, most reliable and efficient brand and models?

Spud

Diamond
Diesel powered . In the 50KW range. 3 phase and single phase output.

What brands have a reputation for reliability and efficiency ? Cat ? Cummins? Airman? Kato? Multiquip ? Atlas Copco ? Kohler? Generac ? MTU?

What is the consensus on used military genesets found on sites like Ritche Bros / GovPlanet , like the Libby brand ?

Diesel powered . In the 50KW range. 3 phase and single phase output.

What brands have a reputation for reliability and efficiency ? Cat ? Cummins? Airman? Kato? Multiquip ? Atlas Copco ? Kohler? Generac ? MTU?

What is the consensus on used military genesets found on sites like Ritche Bros / GovPlanet , like the Libby brand ?

Military doesn't build. They buy.

To GOOD specifications. But from the LOWEST BIDDER!

Combat losses are expected. Replacement more likely than rebuild. Purchased accordingly.

Government rebuilds - also contracted-out to lowest bidder - are a HUGE gamble!

Mind, I LIKE my NATO/OTAN "Tactically quiet" 10 KVA MEP-803a, but that's not Fermont's doing. It's because I like Marathon heads and Lister-Petter (Onan/Cummins..) for small diesels. AND it had under 1,000 hours on it.

Best units will be those used by offshore oil rigs, other marine use, at-sea, (Northern Light, Westerbeke). Gardners were legendary-durable, but not very clean, so are largely out of your reach, even used, now.

Major telco & data center operators, itty-bitty sub 100 KVA one you seek? We used a lot of Mitsubishi and Isuzu.

CAT, Cummins, MTU are good.

Cat sets over here in that size are rebadged perkins powered sets ( cat badge engineering ) they are just Olympian sets out of the UK.

Maybe different in the USA but not likely so don't pay a CAT premium for it..also .look into cummins the B series mechanical engines they are well regarded for gensets

That is pretty small for a Cat, they made a 60kw 3114 but it was far from their best effort. I’d look at Cummins or Northern Lights in that size range.

Military gensets are pretty good, as long as you don't buy a lemon. Biggest problem with the military units is they are overly complicated, you need a real tech to diagnose problems, and many of the control parts can be difficult to find, and expensive. I have heard of people removing the military controls and upgrading to off the shelf voltage regulators, but never tried it myself.

Military doesn't build. They buy.

To GOOD specifications. But from the LOWEST BIDDER!

Combat losses are expected. Replacement more likely than rebuild. Purchased accordingly.

Government rebuilds - also contracted-out to lowest bidder - are a HUGE gamble!

Mind, I LIKE my NATO/OTAN "Tactically quiet" 10 KVA MEP-803a, but that's not Fermont's doing. It's because I like Marathon heads and Lister-Petter (Onan/Cummins..) for small diesels. AND it had under 1,000 hours on it.

Best units will be those used by offshore oil rigs, other marine use, at-sea, (Northern Light, Westerbeke). Gardners were legendary-durable, but not very clean, so are largely out of your reach, even used, now.

Major telco & data center operators, itty-bitty sub 100 KVA one you seek? We used a lot of Mitsubishi and Isuzu.

CAT, Cummins, MTU are good.

The data center info reminds me that the company I sold my Fronius welder to builds radiators for MTU gensets which are/were used for Google's Data centers. I was chatting with the manager and he mentioned flying down to the Southern US to help set up the MTU gensets.

Many of the ex-Military generators found on Ritche Bros have low hours, so what do you all think of them?
What about the ex-Sunbelt generators, made by Multiquip ? Would any of you buy one of these or are they beat to hell when Sunbelt decide to dispose of them ?

I am looking throught the Westerbeke website and can't find a current production model in 50KW range or higher. They don't go any higher than 14KW for the industrial product line , and no higher than 29KW for the diesel marine product line.

Northern Lights do make gensets in my KW range. Now to look out for them at auction:D

Many of the ex-Military generators found on Ritche Bros have low hours, so what do you all think of them?
What about the ex-Sunbelt generators, made by Multiquip ? Would any of you buy one of these or are they beat to hell when Sunbelt decide to dispose of them ?

Does RB have a contract to sell mil equipment? Or is someone just flipping them thru RB? Why not just buy straight from military? I think dovebid has the contract now.

I have heard the Sunbelt gens are pretty good, they are quiet. My understanding is that Sunbelt sells off equipment at xxxx# of hours, I got a boomlift from them years ago, still running today, like any machine every year or 2 something has to be fixed.

I have a small military surplus generator and have looked at them in bigger sizes. I would avoid them. They're well made but generally overly complicated as someone said above and you are on your own all the way for support.

I would recommend one of the trailer mounted generators like multiquip or similar with as low hours as you can find and pre DEF whatever tier that is. I have a Wacker Neuson 25kva that I got on ebay 10 or so years ago with 2500 hrs. I have seen them with 25k hours or so. It's been very reliable. Very well made and quiet. Multiquip is similar.

Watch Iron planet.

Does RB have a contract to sell mil equipment? Or is someone just flipping them thru RB? Why not just buy straight from military? I think dovebid has the contract now.

I have heard the Sunbelt gens are pretty good, they are quiet. My understanding is that Sunbelt sells off equipment at xxxx# of hours, I got a boomlift from them years ago, still running today, like any machine every year or 2 something has to be fixed.

RB must have the contract, because the only place I see the ex-Military gensets are on RB's GovPlanet & IronPlant sister sites. Haven't seen any on DoveBid and its sister site GovLiquidation stopped selling equipment, including ex-Military a few years back, but GoDove's sister site GovDeals sells a few militart gensets, but not in the same numbers as RB. GovLiquidation used to be the biggest seller of military owned property but switched to selling scrap metals only.

Last edited:
I have a small military surplus generator and have looked at them in bigger sizes. I would avoid them. They're well made but generally overly complicated as someone said above and you are on your own all the way for support.

I would recommend one of the trailer mounted generators like multiquip or similar with as low hours as you can find and pre DEF whatever tier that is. I have a Wacker Neuson 25kva that I got on ebay 10 or so years ago with 2500 hrs. I have seen them with 25k hours or so. It's been very reliable. Very well made and quiet. Multiquip is similar.

Watch Iron planet.

So 3000hrs is not a concern for any of the big name brand gensets? I do plan on getting one with a trailer, since that is the only way I can move it. I need my genset to be somewhat mobile, enough to be able to move away from side of garage if need be.

Back